Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy St.Patricks day

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

st-patrick.jpg

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11554a.htm ( more info on St.Patrick can be found by following the link provided.

so what are your plans for St.Patricks day?

St.Patrick please pray for the conversion of Ireland, Amen<3

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What are the Christian views on St. Patrick's Day? It must be difficult to see a Saints day turned into an excuse for drinking all day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wicknight wrote: »
    What are the Christian views on St. Patrick's Day? It must be difficult to see a Saints day turned into an excuse for drinking all day

Sadly theres not much to stop this. Its a national holiday as well as a holy day. Some people see it as a day of drinking and debauchery. What annoys me more is people referring to it as 'Paddys Day'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'll be spending the day backing horses at Cheltenham, just won an e.w bet on Nina Carberry, she was just pipped at the home straight, so am off to a good start. Then grabbing a couple of bottles of Southern Comfort and heading round to a German mates house for a night of debauchery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It's my mother's birthday today, so we'll be going out for a meal later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

As if people need an excuse to get drunk in this country. Bah. I'll be sober. It seems to have been amalgamated into a religious holiday and a cultural holiday. I think this is a good thing as being Christian is not an inherent part of being Irish. I don't like the ultra binge aspect though. Can't believe the time people start drinking at. It's "funny", the fact that the amount of regret and sickness will inevitably have tomorrow morning,yet they'll do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Well, other than wishing my Mum and everyone on Boards.ie a happy St Patrick's day, I'm not doing a thing. It's sad that so many people have turned yet another Christian holy day into a day to get drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Thomas828 wrote: »
    Well, other than wishing my Mum and everyone on Boards.ie a happy St Patrick's day, I'm not doing a thing. It's sad that so many people have turned yet another Christian holy day into a day to get drunk.

Hi Thomas, yes it upsets me too, he is everywhere

Christmas : Santa Claus

Easter: easter bunny

All Saints day: Halloween

Hope you had a nice day, not everyone celebrates with beer, but like me and my wife, we go to mass then for a nice meal, watch the parade, listen to some bands, then go home to sit and watch Ewtn to see how their celebrations are going.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

Hi Thomas, yes it upsets me too, he is everywhere

Christmas : Santa Claus

Easter: easter bunny

All Saints day: Halloween

Hope you had a nice day, not everyone celebrates with beer, but like me and my wife, we go to mass then for a nice meal, watch the parade, listen to some bands, then go home to sit and watch Ewtn to see how their celebrations are going.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

You are blessed to live such a pleasant life! What's the best way of getting EWTN? I don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Outrage wrote: »
    You are blessed to live such a pleasant life! What's the best way of getting EWTN? I don't have it.

Its a Sky channel. At least it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

st-patrick.jpg

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11554a.htm ( more info on St.Patrick can be found by following the link provided.

so what are your plans for St.Patricks day?

St.Patrick please pray for the conversion of Ireland, Amen<3

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3
    I hope you had a good one too.

Patrick did his bit for Ireland's conversion - then he went to his rest. But I'll stand in for him in the matter of prayers. :)

Well let it be known Outrage, that after lent is over I shall be celebrating our Lords resurrection with a nice cold pint of Guinness, but of course I'll be doing that in moderation.

Ewtn? well, lets just the say the only way to get it is through sky/chorus, I dont watch T/v at all unless there is a really decent film I'm interested in that may be of spiritual benefit to me. My Wife however likes T.V but like me she doesnt watch it much. Makes me wonder why I even bought the thing.

So unless your willing to pay X amount to watch just one channel ( EWTN) and you can financially afford it- then I wouldnt bother getting sky.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

Well let it be known Outrage, that after lent is over I shall be celebrating our Lords resurrection with a nice cold pint of Guinness, but of course I'll be doing that in moderation.

Ewtn? well, lets just the say the only way to get it is through sky/chorus, I dont watch T/v at all unless there is a really decent film I'm interested in that may be of spiritual benefit to me. My Wife however likes T.V but like me she doesnt watch it much. Makes me wonder why I even bought the thing.

So unless your willing to pay X amount to watch just one channel ( EWTN) and you can financially afford it- then I wouldnt bother getting sky.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

I live in an old part of the city and we have one of those deflector systems (which is really old and goes all fuzzy in really hot and really cold weather - the engineer for the system lives up the road from me and was telling me that tranistors don't like to get too hot or too cold!) It costs me like €30 a year, but I get all the Irish channels, BBC1-4, channel 5, sky news, CNN, UTV, Eurosport and a few others. I don't think I'd move to Sky for love nor money: there's enough filth and subliminal messaging on the devil's box as there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hope ye all had a nice day, least the rain held off.:)

I live in an old part of the city and we have one of those deflector systems (which is really old and goes all fuzzy in really hot and really cold weather - the engineer for the system lives up the road from me and was telling me that tranistors don't like to get too hot or too cold!) It costs me like €30 a year, but I get all the Irish channels, BBC1-4, channel 5, sky news, CNN, UTV, Eurosport and a few others. I don't think I'd move to Sky for love nor money: there's enough filth and subliminal messaging on the devil's box as there is!

Yes I know, with all the channels and religious ones too on sky, there is only one Catholic one, definitely must admit that the Catholic church is the most hated church in all of humanity, which gives me all the more reason to embrace it.

I love documentaries but all I see is ''Jesus tomb this'' and ''Jesus couldnt of been crucified this way'' that and ''Did Jesus die in india?''

not to mention all the theoretical stuff thats dressed up to look like its true. we put our faith too much into the world instead of putting it into God. there is good science indeed, but its mostly bad science we get delivered through these channels.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I live in the city center and I was popping out to go the shop. City center is a bit nuts, drunk people everywhere. Feel sorry for the elderly tourists wandering around, they must feel they just wandered into the mother of all stag nights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It reminds me of two classic line from the lips of Kent Brockman in the Beer Baron episode

First, "Today everyone is a little bit Irish. Except, of course, for the gays and the Italians."

Secondly, and more pertinently, "All this drinking, violence, destruction of property -- are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Yes I know, with all the channels and religious ones too on sky, there is only one Catholic one, definitely must admit that the Catholic church is the most hated church in all of humanity, which gives me all the more reason to embrace it.

I love documentaries but all I see is ''Jesus tomb this'' and ''Jesus couldnt of been crucified this way'' that and ''Did Jesus die in india?''

not to mention all the theoretical stuff thats dressed up to look like its true. we put our faith too much into the world instead of putting it into God. there is good science indeed, but its mostly bad science we get delivered through these channels.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

I have the EWTN Channel.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of EWTN to be perfectly honest.
    I have watched several shows like "World Over Live" etc and I find the content of the shows to be rather rightwing in content.

But if it works for you........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

definitely must admit that the Catholic church is the most hated church in all of humanity ...

That would be new to me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

It reminds me of two classic line from the lips of Kent Brockman in the Beer Baron episode

First, "Today everyone is a little bit Irish. Except, of course, for the gays and the Italians."

Secondly, and more pertinently, "All this drinking, violence, destruction of property -- are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"

Don't forget the angry,drunken Irish poets of Springfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement