Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives

Options
  • 17-03-2010 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Sorry for the wrong section but there is no section for it and this is the closest.
    But any way what are the laws on knives in Ireland?
    Its just for display wont be in public or anything
    And can I order a knife from another country as in a English site?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

If you could post a link we'd have a much better idea, but generally, if its the sort of thing I'm thinking of, it'll be classed as an ornament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Ballisong/butterfly knifes, flick knives with a locking mechanism, machetes and similar are , in my interpretation illegal to own or purchase. I think other knives, either of the ornamental or hunting/practical nature are not specifically banned you are entitled to import them like other ornaments/cutlery. The illegality of course comes from possessing one with an intent to use as a weapon, concealing their possession and stuff like that.

That's just my layman's interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 barracuda546

Well I want to get something like the Ka-bar but that costs abit to much
    So if I imported one it wouldnt get stoped our I wouldnt have police at my door or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Well I want to get something like the Ka-bar but that costs abit to much
    So if I imported one it wouldnt get stoped our I wouldnt have police at my door or anything?

I have ordered many knives over the net over the years; never had a problem. I don't have that particular one, but some thing quite similar. Your reason for possession is the main thing. I often have one of those strapped to my leg when I'm out hunting, and I may walk from my house a couple of Kms to where I will be shooting. However, in that case I have a reason for possession.

I carry knives alot, but all for practical reasons, I ride a motor-bike so I always have a leatherman on me, has gotton me out of trouble many times late at night. However, I keep it in its case, inside my jacket. I'm a member of the civil denfense rescue service so I carry other on my way to training and stuff.

From my understanding the above reasons are fine, just walking around with one in your pocket isn't. So yes, you can order one, just be careful when you left the house with it, and have a proper reason to be in possession of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ballisong/butterfly knifes, flick knives with a locking mechanism, machetes and similar are , in my interpretation illegal to own or possess. I think other knives, either of the ornamental or hunting/practical nature are not specifically banned you are entitled to import them like other ornaments/cutlery. The illegality of course comes from possessing one with an intent to use as a weapon, concealing their possession and stuff like that.

That's just my layman's interpretation.

Machetes are legal to sell, purchase and own.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Machetes are legal to sell, purchase and own.

They are named in the firearms act as prohibited, I use a kukri some times, but they are legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It would seem you are correct. It appears to be ok if you own one, put not ok to import or sell them. Which kinda explains why I've seen gardeners use them.

Boston wrote: »
    It would seem you are correct. It appears to be ok if you own one, put not ok to import or sell them. Which kinda explains why I've seen gardeners use them.

I'm not being funny but I know I'm correct on that one. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the firearms act, they change it too often:rolleyes: However, it's the individual's personal responsibility to know where they stand on carrying sporting items that can be percieved as a weapon. You get stopped carrying the wrong item with no valid reason, you will have a problem.

I done a fair amount of knife training over the years, but personal defense is not a valid reason for being in possession of one. Personally, I think there is an issue with the law here, as I encounter a lot of people through my work that carry knives for the wrong reason, and the legal aspect of it does not bother them.

However, people tend to forget that apart from the weapon side of things, there can be many reasons for being in possession of a knive, however, I'm moving away from the OPs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crki76

Yes, you can order stuff from another countries. I do it from USA especially. I have never had a problem to get my package. The last time I ordered RAT 7, it was almost 1 year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Army Surplus Pioneers

Hi all,

I can't find a descent website with the answers I am looking for, so thought of asking the experts on here. I wish to know whether a person in Ireland requires a license to sell pen knives and hunting/bush craft knives on an on-line store? I will be ordering survival and tactical knives from a wholesaler in UK for my local business and just wish to know do I need a license and where can I obtain one. This is not an advertisement , but a definite query.

Any advice or link to appropriate website with information will be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement