Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One bedroom for single person?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 5:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Is it true, that according health board rules only one bedroom housing could be accepted for a single person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Well why are you surprised ? Welfare are paying to put a roof over that persons head, not for guest rooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 labaslietuva

D3PO wrote: »
    Well why are you surprised ? Welfare are paying to put a roof over that persons head, not for guest rooms.

There are plenty houses, which rent does not exceed maximum permitted amount.

There are plenty houses, which rent does not exceed maximum permitted amount.

perhaps but were running over budget as a country and logic says a one bed will be cheaper than a 2 bed in the same area. Its not a case of X is the max amount so go find somewhere for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

perhaps but were running over budget as a country and logic says a one bed will be cheaper than a 2 bed in the same area. Its not a case of X is the max amount so go find somewhere for that amount.

many one beds are as expensive as two beds in the dublin area.

There is a chat about Co Waterford.

• Advertisement

who_ru wrote: »
    many one beds are as expensive as two beds in the dublin area.

That indicates to me that the 1 beds are overpriced then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Could someone explain to me why a single person should get a two bedroom house rather than a one bedroom house [from the health board]?

That indicates to me that the 1 beds are overpriced then.

Rents are based on people's mortgage repayments rather than any rationale such as number of bedrooms, size of apt, amenities nearby, links to public transport, BER rating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

AS far as i know they have a price limit on the rent , ie if you can find a 2bed house going for 80 euro a week ,youll get rent allowance,they look at the rents in each area,ie the rents for a single person,eg the rents in longford are alot lower than dublin city.
    you could contact threshold, or citizens advice centre,or look on hse website,
    rent allowance info.
    say in dublin ,a single person could only get rent allowance on 95euro max rent.
    ie over the limit you get zero rent allowance.
    COULD YOU RENT a 2bed flat for 80euro a week ,i doubt.
    it.
    but they dont mind if the flat is very large ,as long as the rent is under the limit.
    i know 1 person ,pensioner renting out a 3bed house, i dont know how much rent he,s paying, in longford.
    about 5 months ago they reduced how much you can get on ra.
    IF YOU can find a 500sq feet flat going under the rent allowance limit ,
    i reckon it would be accepted.
    they first look at the rent amount 1st, be4 they look at anything else.
    you need to ask, whats the rent allowance limit for a single person in my town, area.
    theres no national rate.
    it has to have a fridge,cooker etc, acess to a bathroom.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me why a single person should get a two bedroom house rather than a one bedroom house [from the health board]?

Because houses usually more two bedroom rather than one.

• Advertisement

Rents are based on people's mortgage repayments rather than any rationale such as number of bedrooms, size of apt, amenities nearby, links to public transport, BER rating etc.

**Facepalm** i cant believe you just typed this. Im actually not even going to attempt to explain rental yields to you. :eek::eek:

**Facepalm** i cant believe you just typed this. Im actually not even going to attempt to explain rental yields to you. :eek::eek:

Here are rules. Monthly permitted rates are not big.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

doesn't answer the question as to why a single person should get accommodation with more then one bedroom from the health board. Is it council housing or rent allowance your looking for as they are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sure, so get a house mate.

Perhaps a discussion for another thread. Many landlords pitch the rental value based on their outgoings. However, the market tens to more take into account the ability of people to pay. If people have money left over after other costs, many will consider improving their living conditions.

allow me to explain without upseting your sensibilities too much.

on two occassions recently i rang to enquire about two different properties that were advertised for rent. having done a comparison with similar properties in the area on daft i informed the LL that the rent seemed high in comparison and asked if he would be willing to reduce it.

on both occassions i was firmly told no this would not be possible as the LL had 'a very big mortgage' out on said property and wasn't in a position to reduce the rent, perhaps i should have prefaced my comment earlier that in my experience rents are based on the size of the LL's mortgage etc.

i am sure that as interest rates go up so will rents in many but not all instances simply because the LL's in question cannot cover the costs of their investments by pitching their properties at the market rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats only true who_ru to the amateur 'canny' BTL brigade out there where the idea of a market does not enter their small minds.

Once they find they cannot rent out their gaff at their desired price as:

-Joe landlord next door who has no pressure on his mortgage due to buying much earlier than '06 and can find tenants easily (competition)
    -there is is a limit a tenant can afford

the real world will hit and they will subsidise their 'investment' grudgingly.

IF YOU are a single person you should be looking at flats ,the chances of finding a 1bed house for rent for 77euro is close too zero.
    YOU could find a flat in a private house ,maybe with acess to a front room,tv room .
    I know some1 living in a private house ,renting 1 room, they can watch tv ,in the front room if they want, .THE cooker,fridge is downstairs in the kitchen.
    THE house has 4 bedrooms, only 2 people living there.
    or just look for a large flat.

allow me to explain without upseting your sensibilities too much.

on two occassions recently i rang to enquire about two different properties that were advertised for rent. having done a comparison with similar properties in the area on daft i informed the LL that the rent seemed high in comparison and asked if he would be willing to reduce it.

on both occassions i was firmly told no this would not be possible as the LL had 'a very big mortgage' out on said property and wasn't in a position to reduce the rent, perhaps i should have prefaced my comment earlier that in my experience rents are based on the size of the LL's mortgage etc.

i am sure that as interest rates go up so will rents in many but not all instances simply because the LL's in question cannot cover the costs of their investments by pitching their properties at the market rate.

Ok and you will get this of course you will as there are what you could term amatuer landlords out there that got caught up in the greed of the celtic tiger and the bubble thinking they were on the gravy train and couldnt lose.

Just because some people arent rational and dont actually have a clue about managing a proper investment doesnt mean thats what sets the rate.

Well the market sets the rates,if you charge too much you,ll have a hard time getting a tenant.IF you think rent x is too high don,t view the property.YOU look on daft .ie and you can see the rates for each area .if they dont have a clue they wont get a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, so get a house mate.
    Perhaps a discussion for another thread. Many landlords pitch the rental value based on their outgoings. However, the market tens to more take into account the ability of people to pay. If people have money left over after other costs, many will consider improving their living conditions.

Do you think so? I know most people I know who rent struggle to afford it. (This is worth reading). In my experience landlords often pitch places a little above the prices which their main target tenant is likely to afford. There is significant evidence that cash top-up payments are still the norm (where the tenant is forced by the landlord to collude in giving an extra cash payment on top of the officially declared rent in order to increase their actual rent). Since the lowest "earners" would mostly be people on social welfare, the tendency for local rents outside of Dublin (which has a different structure based on price, demand, landlord's outgoings etc due to having a real market) is to be rent allowance maximum plus about 20-30 euros a week.

That is why for example in Cork you see lots of slum flats around Wellington Rd area on the raised terraces going for around 600 a month (the limit was 115 until last year so this equates to real rents of 140 if you consider many of the landlords will demand a 25 euro top-up).

A lot of this would be due to the fact that there is a very small "market" for rented property outside of the main cities. In country villages for example most of the "private" rented sector will be people on welfare.

• Advertisement

Do they actually refuse outright if the only place people can find has more than 1 bedroom? Surely in some rural areas there is little or no 1 bedroomed units available so the only choice would be 2 bedroomed terraces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Unless you live somewhere very rural, there will always be one bedroom apartments and they will almost always be cheaper to rent than a HOUSE.

Well in dublin theres plenty of flats going for round 80,90 pw but some landlords simply wont take on 1 person on rent allowance, its easier to just rent the 3bed house to a single mother 4 1000 per month,on rent allowance .
    i presume theres a shortage of 1bed flats in cork.most people on ra pay around 12 euro pw from their own pocket, ie ra pays 90percent of the rent.
    is ridiculous for a single man to expect the hse to pay 2 rent a house 4 him.
    ie just try and find a house going under the ra limit.
    i suppose you might find 1 in the middle of nowwhere,like an old cottage .
    if you have a house 4rent, you,ll get alot more rent from a single mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

eth0_ wrote: »
    Unless you live somewhere very rural, there will always be one bedroom apartments and they will almost always be cheaper to rent than a HOUSE.

There would be no 1 bedroom apts for rent within HSE rent guidelines for a single person in Dublin.
    Mangy bedsits yes, 1 bed apts no (at this time anyway)

Its a few years since I lived in Dublin, but in my day I often found bedsits were better than 1 bedroomed units since they were less agressively subdivided. (I.e. kitchenette and a lock on the door job).

There isn't a shortage of 1 bed places in Cork city, in fact there is a huge backlog of such places, but for some reason landlords seem to all be looking for about 150 a month above the RA limit and there is a lot of stuff on Daft.ie sitting there in places like Barrack St, Blarney St, Wellington Rd etc for 4-5 months. Some of them are pretty naff mind you.

Advertisement