Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pray for Cardinal Brady

Options
  • 16-03-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

His Eminence is under attack. Pray that he and all his followers remain steadfast and faithful against the rush of irrational outrage that is currently being stoked by those with ulterior motives.

Pray for the real victims that they may find some closure and recompense from both the Church and the civil authorities. The Church and her leaders need our prayers in this time of great cleansing.

stmonica1.jpg

It took St Monica 17 years of prayer to get her husband to see the light. We have a similar task our hands to convert the entrenched media consumers of the 21st century, not to mention the prayers that must be offered for the comfort of victims who have experienced great evil under the care of the Church.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I think I will save my prayers for the victims, I'll leave Cardinal Brady and his ilk to God... who in the end, will be ultimate judge of all this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Outrage wrote: »
    His eminence is under attack. Pray that he and all his followers remain steadfast and faithful against the rush of irrational outrage that is currently being stoked by those with ulterior motives.

Pray for the real victims that they may find some closure and recompense from both the Church and the civil authorities. The Church and her leaders need our prayers in this time of great cleansing.

stmonica1.jpg

It took St Monica 17 years of prayer to get her husband to see the light. We have a similar task our hands to convert the entrenched media consumers of the 21st century, not to mention the prayers that must be offered for the comfort of victims who have experienced great evil under the care of the Church.

This is a joke right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This is a joke right?
    No. It's Outrage. So, yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

His eminence is under attack. Pray that he and all his followers remain steadfast and faithful against the rush of irrational outrage that is currently being stoked by those with ulterior motives.

stmonica1.jpg

Are you serious, my prayers are with the victims of these heinous crimes.
    Cardinal Brady should resign. How on earth can he think what he had done was the right thing to do!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

I think I will save my prayers for the victims, I'll leave Cardinal Brady and his ilk to God... who in the end, will be ultimate judge of all this

Indeed He will. And Cardinal Brady will take his rightful seat alongside all the angels and saints. I on the other hand, will have to spend many 1000's of years in purgatory to atone for the sins I have committed in my life before making it into God's kingdom (God willing). I find it very hard to believe that a man with such impeccable character as Cardinal Brady will not go straight to heaven. Looking back deep into the life of a holy man of 71 years of age for flaws is pathetic. Nobody's saying he's perfect - the only sinless adults that have ever existed as far as I'm concerned are Jesus himself and the Virgin Mary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Thank you outrage, I shall pray for both parties and for Gods will to be done, the ambiguity of the current situation is evident in that I cant say I know much about it. But the following blog from David Quinn from the Irish Catholic is something I've come across today.

"Last week it looked like the Church was starting something of a fight-back against the relentless attacks on it. Today, it suddenly looks very different again with Cardinal Sean Brady under huge pressure to resign over Fr Brendan Smyth.

I have mixed feelings about this and haven't yet come to a firm conviction one way or the other. But here is an initial thought. Any system of justice must be even-handed. A justice system that uses the law against one group but not another isn't being just at all. Instead it is engaged in injustice.

The media often try to act as a surrogate for the justice system. They see themselves as a dispenser of justice. As often as not, however, the media pick on one group and not another.

With respect to the abuse scandals, the media have not been at all even-handed. The Church gets regularly singled out. As I have argued in this blog before, Gerry Adams got off very lightly when it was discovered he knew about abuse complaints against his brother.

The defenders of Roman Polanski, among them prominent Irish artists, remain unembarrassed by their defence because the media have not targetted them over it.

No-one in the HSE is ever named and shamed, let alone resigns, because of failures to protect children, even failures that result in the death of a child.

If Sean Brady must resign, then the same standard that is being applied to him, must be applied to everyone, including HSE staff, teachers, school principals, gardai, everyone. Justice demands an even standard, evenly applied. That is not happening at the moment."
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/cardinal-brady-row

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

Indeed He will. And Cardinal Brady will take his rightful seat alongside all the angels and saints. I on the other hand, will have to spend many 1000's of years in purgatory to atone for the sins I have committed in my life before making it into God's kingdom (God willing). I find it very hard to believe that a man with such impeccable character as Cardinal Brady will not go straight to heaven. Looking back deep into the life of a holy man of 71 years of age for flaws is pathetic. Nobody's saying he's perfect, but the only perfect human adults that have ever existed as far as I'm concerned are Jesus himself and the Virgin Mary.

Even the Church no longer recognises purgatory

I call shennigans on you. You are low, using the pain and suffering of many innocents, for your own amusment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Indeed He will. And Cardinal Brady will take his rightful seat alongside all the angels and saints. I on the other hand, will have to spend many 1000's of years in purgatory to atone for the sins I have committed in my life before making it into God's kingdom (God willing). I find it very hard to believe that a man with such impeccable character as Cardinal Brady will not go straight to heaven. Looking back deep into the life of a holy man of 71 years of age for flaws is pathetic. Nobody's saying he's perfect - the only sinless adults that have ever existed as far as I'm concerned are Jesus himself and the Virgin Mary.

Man alive, there's so much wrong here its hard to kow where to start.

Thank you outrage, I shall pray for both parties and for Gods will to be done, the ambiguity of the current situation is evident in that I cant say I know much about it. But the following blog from David Quinn from the Irish Catholic is something I've come across today.

"Last week it looked like the Church was starting something of a fight-back against the relentless attacks on it. Today, it suddenly looks very different again with Cardinal Sean Brady under huge pressure to resign over Fr Brendan Smyth.

I have mixed feelings about this and haven't yet come to a firm conviction one way or the other. But here is an initial thought. Any system of justice must be even-handed. A justice system that uses the law against one group but not another isn't being just at all. Instead it is engaged in injustice.

The media often try to act as a surrogate for the justice system. They see themselves as a dispenser of justice. As often as not, however, the media pick on one group and not another.

With respect to the abuse scandals, the media have not been at all even-handed. The Church gets regularly singled out. As I have argued in this blog before, Gerry Adams got off very lightly when it was discovered he knew about abuse complaints against his brother.

The defenders of Roman Polanski, among them prominent Irish artists, remain unembarrassed by their defence because the media have not targetted them over it.

No-one in the HSE is ever named and shamed, let alone resigns, because of failures to protect children, even failures that result in the death of a child.

If Sean Brady must resign, then the same standard that is being applied to him, must be applied to everyone, including HSE staff, teachers, school principals, gardai, everyone. Justice demands an even standard, evenly applied. That is not happening at the moment."
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/cardinal-brady-row

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

so you think what he did is ok, as long as he is the only one being targetted.

If he had not ALLOWED a predator to roam free, he would not have anything to answer for. I do not care that you feel that there is an injustice being done, the only real injustice was to those kids and he facilitated it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

Even the Church no longer recognises purgatory

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

What a weak blog. Deflecting criticism, seeking to spread it, rather than address it as it pertains to the organisation his paper covers.

That paper actually, seems to be seeking any opportunity to turn the spotlight anywhere but the church. They seem to run headlines at any opportunity about HSE failures for example, while running editorials that hang the church up on a cross of media persecution.

I totally agree that ALL responsible for such crimes and behaviour need to be held accountable, but that shouldn't be the flag the Irish Catholic flies in all this. Their boo-hoo-ing about percieved unfairness in the media, and focussing in on that, is overlooking the bigger picture and the problems they should be observing with a critical eye in the organisation they supposedly cover.

Otherwise they just look like the institutional clergy...constantly seeking to deflect the limelight and pass responsibility to others.

It brings forward a good question though - is the Irish Catholic an independent outlet, or are they linked to the Church formally?

As for the OP - delusional is the only word that comes to mind. I feel sorry your judgment has been so badly compromised by your faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I will say a quick prayer for him...

Please God, he will, through reflection, and prayer

.... begin to understand that directly because of his inaction, little children were repeatedly anally and orally rapped..
    ..... that they were terrified that they would go to hell if they told anybody else what happened because he made them swear not to
    .... that many children grown up terrified, confused and in pain
    .... that the terror that he helped to cover up, continues to effect these victims and those around them
    .... I hope God's light shines down upon him and open his eyes and heart to the horror that he has helped and hidden

...........suffer little children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

this has to be a piss take! pray for a man who protected a monster who destroyed children. yes none of us are without sin but come on, this is evil material. my sins are maybe insulting or haven't bad sexual thoughts about another woman but those thoughts stayed in my head unlike the systematic rapists in the catholic church. of course polanski and liam adams are evil bastards but that doesn't change things for brady. god knows what the church are up to with the children in Africa who have **** all hope.get a life "outrage" and consider the real victims here!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

WHAT!!! How dare you ask that I pray for a monster like that?!? You make me sick! That's what wrong with this country! Where's my bail out? Coming over here taking our jobs. All they want are the benefits. The church are indoctrinating my children in schools. The kids knick-knack my house every day, the parents wont do anything. All the romanaiaians do is beg. get your hands off me. my taxes pay your salary. get your hands off me. I thought we lived in a democracy. I have rights.

Etcetera, etcetera

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

*Mod Hat On*

Short leash on this thread.

Glenster wrote: »
    WHAT!!! How dare you ask that I pray for a monster like that?!? You make me sick! That's what wrong with this country! Where's my bail out? Coming over here taking our jobs. All they want are the benefits. The church are indoctrinating my children in schools. The kids knick-knack my house every day, the parents wont do anything. All the romanaiaians do is beg. get your hands off me. my taxes pay your salary. get your hands off me. I thought we lived in a democracy. I have rights.

Etcetera, etcetera
    what?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

If the rule applies to Cardinal Sean Brady then it must apply to all is what the blog I beleive is saying, not that Justice shouldnt be sought and carried out, therefore applying this rule only to the Cardinal would be seen as injustice rather than justice.

I at this moment am turning to God with prayer that he will sort it all out and that his will be done, so I'm leaving it to Church and state at the moment as what to do with regards to decision making.

I forgive Cardinal Sean Brady, as the Gospel teaches that we must forgive as our heavenly father forgives, for if we dont, we wont be forgiven either. my father was a victim of the abuse, and he forgives him, but for those who do not accept the Gospel message, forgivness may never come about.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

what?????????

I'm just giving the OP what he wants. A delirious rant.

Is it any crazier than what other people have said?

Glenster wrote: »
    I'm just giving the OP what he wants. A delirious rant.

Is it any crazier than what other people have said?
    ah I see. I didn't get it first time. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If the rule applies to Cardinal Sean Brady then it must apply to all is what the blog I beleive is saying

That's fine, and I agree with that, I just dislike that rather than discussing these problems as they pertain to the church - his paper's domain - he wants instead to discuss how they're not exclusively the problems of the church. The 'it wasn't just me' defence. It's a deflection from the real matters at hand.

I dislike the terminology in the blog too. It's like he sees two sides in a football match and he's cheerleading one to victory or something. He seemed to cheering on this church 'fight-back', and now is dismayed they're back to square one. Something about that doesn't sit right with me, like he is mostly concerned with where the church lands in all this as viewed through the lens of the media, more than anything else. It's a more benign form of the same preoccupation with 'the church' and its image that saw all this BS swept under the carpet by others in the first place.

Maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe the Irish Catholic has been at the frontier of exposing problems in the organisation they cover. But that blog reads like smug fanboyism from someone who can't really defend his chosen 'side' anymore, so instead seeks to defer comment/criticism on the real matters at hand ("haven't yet come to a firm conviction one way or the other") and instead engage in a bit of 'look, over there!' distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Instead of handing out multiple infractions for Breach of Charter, it's going to be easier to lock the thread.

OP, if you are really serious and not a parody, you can post in the Prayer Requests thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I don't know whether to be mad at Brady or to pity him. The man has thrown his life away on nonsense. He joined an organisation that forbid hin from having a wife or children and he ended up protecting a child rapist, what an achievement, how proud he must be!
    And to think this organisation had parents whose children died before baptism being scared into thinking their child would never get to heaven but a repentant cnut like Brendan Smyth could. I only hope irish people will see this organisation for what it is but I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement