Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens after a test

Options
  • 16-03-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi

Im pretty sure im pregnant with my first baby, I have not done a test yet as I have been this late with my period before, I will do one before the weekend. I should be about 7 weeks now going from the day of my last period, what happens then? when do I go to the doc? does he have to do an internal exam on me? I really dont like the thoughts of a man doctor doing that? Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Maybe go to see your GP.

They most likely wouldn't need to that, they have tests there.

Just make sure you need to pee when you're going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sourwine

Hi,

if you feel uncomfortable to have a man doctor doing an examination, sure you can find a woman? Would be better on the longterm anyway if you feel so reluctant about it.

But to answer your question, the doctor will probably make another test to proof and then check with ultrasonic. Maybe you can already see the fetus!

You don't have to be afraid, really.

You might find this helpful: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services

All the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

they wont go near your lady garden or anywhere near that area for a long time. Go to the doc, get the pregnancy confirmed. He /She will make you an appointment for the antenatal clinic which should happen in a couple of weeks. You will be called for scans and check ups during your 9 months. Its all pretty routine unless something out of the ordinary occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jenn15

no just take a test if u are pregnant, go to your gp he'l do anther test just to confirm (all you need to do here is pee in a cup) then he'l give you a letter for the hospital, go home and decide which hospital you want to attend, give them a call and they'l make an appointment for you, its pretty straight forward and no internals necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

Hi thanks for the replies,

Well I just did a test and I found out I am expecting, I have not been taking folic acid as its a bit of a surprise, when should I start taking it? I should be about 7 wks gone. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

start taking it as soon as you can i think, but check with pharmacist to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Congrats!!
    I agree start taking asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

It's important to take folic acid for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy, so get it into you asap. Don't worry too much about not taking folic acid before now as most cereals are fortified with it anyway and if you normally include leafy greens in your diet you should have been getting a natural supply of it up until now.

You can make an appointment with your doctor anytime now. I advise getting a female doctor if you are uncomfortable with men, but to be honest, by the time your baby is born you'll be so used to different people poking and prodding and having a look that you really won't care who your GP is.

From 12 weeks, all GP visits and antenatal appointments are free. You may want to visit your GP before this as they will book you in to your hospital and consultant of choice. If you wait until week 12 to visit your GP, you may have to wait a while until your first clinic appointment and this could mean that you only get one scan during the whole pregnancy (procedures vary from hospital to hospital). Usually there's a booking-in scan at around 12 weeks and another at 20 weeks, unless you're in a high-risk category or go private. Ask around before your GP visit. Get recommendations from friends/family about consultants and hospitals. And if there's one book you buy, get The Better Birth Book by Tracey Donegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

Hi just to update ye, I went to the doc last wed as I was bleeding a bit, he didnt do any exam he sent me straight to the hospital, I got a scan done and a transvaginal scan it wasnt too bad, I had cramps for a few hours after and I was bleeding for a few days but its stopped now, the hospital didnt seem too concerned the scan showed up a very strong heartbeat so they were happy, have another scan next week so hopefully all will be well. thanks for the replies

Advertisement