Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot install Office XP SP3

Options
  • 16-03-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all

I've tried on at least 3 occasions to install Office XP SP3 on a home PC and it has failed each time, prompting me to insert the CD. Thing is, I don't have a CD !
    I've downloaded the relevant file(s) from the MS site - the larger one of 57+ Mb assuming you don't have the CD - and tried to install. And it failed....and prompted me to insert a CD !! :mad:

Any suggestions folks what could be the issue here or what I should be doing differently ?

It's a relatively old PC (ca. 6 years old) so I'm wondering if I should just update/upgrade the OS altogether to something post-XP...Any suggestions ?

Cheers...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeeesh, Office XP is ancient at this point. It's well worth considering upgrading given that Office 2010 is due out soon, and at that point Office XP would be 3 generations away from the current release.

Alternatively, you could try enabling the Microsoft Update service and attempt to install the update that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeeesh, Office XP is ancient at this point. It's well worth considering upgrading given that Office 2010 is due out soon, and at that point Office XP would be 3 generations away from the current release.

Alternatively, you could try enabling the Microsoft Update service and attempt to install the update that way.

Yep, thought as much...What can I upgrade *to* though (ideally for free ?) ?
    Tried the MS Update Service and it failed as well....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OpenOffice.org is up to version 3.2 and is quite a good alternative to the MS Office suite, although be warned that it's not identical - so if you depend on complex macros in Excel there's no guarantee they'll work in the OpenOffice equivalent. It is free, though, so you can try it out at no cost to see what you make of it.

Alternatively you might try KOffice, which is also free. I haven't used it so can't comment on its qualities, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd suggest running the Microsoft Install Cleanup utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Then try the large install again.

As for upgrading, it's Office you're looking to upgrade not the OS, right?
    And it's a home machine so you can purchase the home and student version of Office.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85606653_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1000382103&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1B92FSYFWDAE89SX15R3&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=142632927&pf_rd_i=office%20home%20and%20student%202007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

isn't there going to be a web based version of office with teh 2010 release?

you could consider Google or Zoho docs too! Firefox + Prism + internets = web based app that feels like an installed one.

Even if the PC is 6+ yrs old, you should still be able to comfortably run up to office 2007, or 2003 SP3 with all the graphics turned off, more RAM, etc.

open Office would also be worth a look. But if you're always online, consider Zoho office.

[edit]
    sorry! as for your original problem, try the LIS Tool!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ressem wrote: »
    I'd suggest running the Microsoft Install Cleanup utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    The problem is that the OP doesn't have the CD - that would be game over :(

I doubt the trial version of office XP is still on the microsoft site, latest trial versions are on http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/default.aspx

Advertisement