Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in April/May

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Anyone here ever gone skiing in say April/May in Europe? Was hoping to go skiing for a weekend this month but the passport is out of date and with the "go slow" in the Passport Office it could be April by the time I get the new one :( Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 T-Spark

you would be pushing it but Soldeu in Andorra had skiing up to the 4th of May last year, now take it for granted it was the upper pistes, all things considered however I think it may have being an exceptional year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Tignes in France has skiing right to mid summer. I've skied there at the end of a very hot April, and there was plenty of good skiing. You just had to read the piste map and move round the mountain to catch the snow in between ice and slush.

And I mean it was hot. We were naked between the ski pants and jacket, but had total face and head cover to avoid sunburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

EileenG wrote: »
    Tignes in France has skiing right to mid summer. I've skied there at the end of a very hot April, and there was plenty of good skiing. You just had to read the piste map and move round the mountain to catch the snow in between ice and slush.

And I mean it was hot. We were naked between the ski pants and jacket, but had total face and head cover to avoid sunburn.

ya there are 2 or three glaciers in Tignes so you can ski there in summer so April May is fine. Tignes is also right beside val d'isere and they are connected, so there is a serious amount of skiing in the area. Be warned though, it is expensive place for food and drinks. on piste a coke and bar of choc touches €7 for example... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yeah, stock up in the supermarket and carry as many snacks as possible. If you are going to Tignes, then check out the youth hostel there http://auberge-tignes.com/en/ Excellent value and good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

Ishgl high up & open til may bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Thegingerbear: there are allot of resort open to April every year they are normally the higher ones and skiing can be either incredible or hit and miss.

Glacial resorts are probably your best option for any resort that late in the year, Spring skiing can be incredibly rewarding as resorts tend to be very quite and with good snow depts if Temps stay low

Couple of suggestions -
    Val Disere France
    Saas Fee Switzerland
    Obergurgal Austria
    Tignes France
    Hintertux Austria
    Zermatt Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Zürs & Lech in Austria always have snow at Easter. Can be expensive though, unless you stay in St Anton

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Thanks for all the replies - just one problem, my passport doesn't look like appearing anytime soon according to what I see on the RTE website :mad:

Advertisement