Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember Desmond's flashes?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 7:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

I don't remember them entirely, there was the bit in the army, the bit with penny in the flat (where he told her never to change her phone number I think) and then there was the following bit.

If I remember correctly, he had met a friend and was trying to explain that he was time travelling. He cited a goal that was about to be scored in a match that was being shown in the pub they were in.
    BUT, the goal was never scored.

Is it possible that this is what is happening at the moment with the flash sideways, but without the characters being cognisant of 'reality' (for want of a better word).

Now that I've typed it out, it seems unlikely and I'm dismissing it. But, feck it, I've typed it out so I'm hitting submit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I don't remember them entirely, there was the bit in the army, the bit with penny in the flat (where he told her never to change her phone number I think) and then there was the following bit.

If I remember correctly, he had met a friend and was trying to explain that he was time travelling. He cited a goal that was about to be scored in a match that was being shown in the pub they were in.
    BUT, the goal was never scored.

Is it possible that this is what is happening at the moment with the flash sideways, but without the characters being cognisant of 'reality' (for want of a better word).

Now that I've typed it out, it seems unlikely and I'm dismissing it. But, feck it, I've typed it out so I'm hitting submit.

the goal was scored des just got the night wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's an interesting theory alright. The only flaw I can think of would be the fact that, when he flashed into the past and met Ms.Hawking, she was trying to convince him to go to the island in order to push the button. But in the flash-sideways timeline, the island is underwater, and there is no button to be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Theres nothing to suggest that Penny even exists in the same way Jack now has a son. Widmore probably wasnt banished and maybe had to leave due to the island going underwater so Desmonds sideways is completely unknown apart from the fact that he flew from Sydney to L.A. and disapeared during the moment in which the crash should have occured.

However: Jack did seem to recognize him, so perhaps their meeting in the stadium when they were doing the stadium challenge thingy did occur ( i believe this is so as the stadium was poorly lit and i dont recall them exchanging names and it was before Des went to the island which is years before the plane crash, also Jack took awhile to recognize him in Season 2).

This would imply that Desmond was training for the around the world, to win the respect of Widmore so he can marry his daughter who does actually exist! (Ow my head hurts)

Does anyone remember what Desmond was in Prison for. Lostpedia is blocked where I am!

Does anyone remember what Desmond was in Prison for. Lostpedia is blocked where I am!

Just says he was dishonourably discharged for failing to follow orders, although it doesn't say what the orders were (Lostpedia also says it is unknown what the orders were)

With regards to Jack meeting Desmond on the plane, more stuff seems to be happening to Jack than anyone else in the alt-timeline. The cut on his neck, not remembering his appendix scar, recognising Desmond... I don't think its as simple as the stadium thing. Everyone elses lives are different in the new timeline, but Jack seems to be the only one finding things strange

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

yeah Jack's cut and scar will be revisited and with hindsight a pivotal hint of how it all panned out

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. It may be you're on to something. I've seen it speculated that when they die on the island the alt becomes their reality.

I don't know what the connection is between the alt and the island but there definitely is a connection. I reckon you're on to something.

FredBloggs wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. It may be you're on to something. I've seen it speculated that when they die on the island the alt becomes their reality.

I don't know what the connection is between the alt and the island but there definitely is a connection. I reckon you're on to something.

There is definitely a connection. There has to be. Especially with Jacks scar and neck wound. There would be no point putting that in if there wasn't some meaning behind it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FredBloggs wrote: »
    I've seen it speculated that when they die on the island the alt becomes their reality.
    This is what I think as well. I think the season will end with the original timeline being destroyed. Everyone will die but their consciousness will awaken in the sideways timeline. This would allow the writers to destroy the island in a suitably biblical way in which everyone sacrifices themselves while still providing a happy ending.

I don't see any other way they can justify the sideways timeline.

This is what I think as well. I think the season will end with the original timeline being destroyed. Everyone will die but their consciousness will awaken in the sideways timeline. This would allow the writers to destroy the island in a suitably biblical way in which everyone sacrifices themselves while still providing a happy ending.

I don't see any other way they can justify the sideways timeline.

Its something I thought of myself. Question is, is it only those who 'sacrifice themselves' or whatever at the end whose consciousness' will awaken? For example, Arzt. He's been in 4 of the flash-sideways now, but he hasn't recognised anyone such as Kate, Claire or Locke (he never met Ben on-island). But is that why Jack can remember things or feels like things are different, because he sacrifices himself in the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Its something I thought of myself. Question is, is it only those who 'sacrifice themselves' or whatever at the end whose consciousness' will awaken? For example, Arzt. He's been in 4 of the flash-sideways now, but he hasn't recognised anyone such as Kate, Claire or Locke (he never met Ben on-island). But is that why Jack can remember things or feels like things are different, because he sacrifices himself in the end
    Yeah, there'd have to be some criteria for who crosses over. It can't be everyone who died on the island. Maybe just candidates.

However, if the writers are thinking of the bible or Narnia, then I would expect Real-Locke to show up and lead the "faithful" over to the other side. In which case, it could just be a question of whoever chooses to go. Free will and all that. For this point to be made fully though, someone would have to choose to stay behind.

If this is the case, then the moment of "awakening" would be at some future point in the sideways timeline. Perhaps a moment in which the two timelines are closest. This is the sort of thing I could see them leaving ambiguous though. Maybe the final shot will be a close-up of Sideways-Jack's eye opening.

Maybe as many people suggested last season, the island-timeline is in a loop - from which the sideways-timeline may be the only escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Does anyone remember the first episode of season 6 where Juliette said "It worked" or something to that effect. Pretty sure that she said that before she died.

Does anyone remember the first episode of season 6 where Juliette said "It worked" or something to that effect. Pretty sure that she said that before she died.
    Yeah, Miles can only read the last thoughts a person had. "It worked" was what Juliet was about to tell Sawyer before dying.

She also said:
    JULIET: We can get coffee some time.
    SAWYER: I gotta get you outta here.
    JULIET: We can go dutch.
    SAWYER: Juliet...it's me.

I think this was a pretty big hint. In which case there's a happy ending still in store for Sawyer and Juliet.

Advertisement