Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any houses worth buying

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I've been looking around for a place to buy for the last few months now (Midlands area). Practically every estate (even ones finished years ago) has a patch of waste ground with builders waste/rubble heap. Also the general standard of finish to the public areas is extremely poor. Compared with places I've lived in the UK/US the building work is shoddy and I just don't trust anything I'm being told by estate agents. Why is it so hard to find a decent house in a well maintained neighbourhood. Do we need US style residents committees to police areas? Would that work here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

We have that, in a way, where houses are owned by a management company, and the individual house owners have a share in that company, but thankfully we've yet to encounter the levels of interference and nosiness seen in the USA.

In absolute agreement about the shoddy state of our housing though, shame nobody insisted on standards during the boom

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

In answer to your post question...I would in general terms say no as prices and other costs are continuing to come back and have a long way to go.

In relation to the state of housing estates which are left abandoned...the reasons are simple...the mad years were a big gambling binge with money thrown at houses hoping to make a quick profit....landscaping/finishing was just an un-necessary expense without any controls or regulation.

Yes, something like local residents associations with power over this is one option. Dont know if the US model would work here...paddy doesn't get on with his neighbour.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

LOOK on daft.ie , theres loadsa houses for sale,in estates ,5/ten years old.
    IF YOUR looking in new estates ,your choice is limited,
    and old estates tend to have more green spaces, for kids than new ones.
    YOU could buy an older house with a large garden ,kitchen for the same price as a new house.
    MAYBE in the states,uk they have better building regs,re public areas ,or better building inspectors.
    MANY new houses ,have poor insulation and sound proofing ,cos they were never inspected.

Advertisement