Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaped Rainbows.

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Have read a few reports of there being some escaped rainbows in a few of the rivers in the wicklow area. Are they quite common say around Annamoe? Id say that they would be a good suprise from the smaller brownies. Can they survive very long on the food supply from the rivers and do they become naturalised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I believe they can survive for quite some time.

They are not that great for the river. They are an alien species and a much more aggressive feeder than the brown trout. They, therefore, have an impact on the native trout population.

There was a trout farm in the upper reaches of a river I fish. During very heavy floods, the trout farm pools would merge briefly with the river and there would be a big escape. We would be catching rainbows for months after while fishing for seatrout.

Make sure you knock on the head any you catch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Best to kill them as they will eat eggs of other fish. they may survive for a long time but more than likey won't breed as farm fish tend to be triploids (sterile/sexless).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I've heard of them near Avoca but have never caught any there. Colorado' s native trout population was pretty much destroyed by a combo of introduced rainbows and whirling disease.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I've caught them near Avoca.
    Pretty little chaps with their rainbow sides and all, but not what you expect from a rocky mountain stream.
    They are very free rising which makes for a busy time if any are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I've heard of them near Avoca but have never caught any there. Colorado' s native trout population was pretty much destroyed by a combo of introduced rainbows and whirling disease.

In Colorado it was as much to do with cross breeding than competition for food and aggressiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thanks for the info guys will knock them on the head if I ever manage to catch any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

Have caught a good few escapees,the avoca,aughrim rivers are quite local for me ,,after a good flood theres a chance of a few,the two fish farms on the aughrim river also contribute to this!!! have caught tem as far downstream from them as the golf course at woodenbridge!!
    they will take on almost anything when theyre about,and definatly a good idea to despatch of them :D

heres one off the aughrim river when it was falling after a huge flood!!!,some good brownie fishing in this area on light tackle!!!
    cheers

Advertisement