Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32-bit to full install of 64-bit

Options
  • 15-03-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok, I realise there's a lot of topics regarding 32-bit v 64-bit, but I want some clarification. I'm running vista Home Premium 32-bit and I'm pretty sure I can run 64-bit vista. Under performance information and tools in control panel, it says 64-bit capable = yes. I don't like vista 32-bit as I occasionally suffer a BSOD due to memory management issues or irql_not_less_or_equal. I'm thinking 64-bit with more ram allowable would help. My question is what full installation paths are available for 32-bit vista, understanding that an upgrade is not possible. I would like to change to windows 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Those bluescreens could indicate a hardware fail (sounds like memory) that won't be fixed by changing to 64bit.

How did you get Vista? with the pc or a bought from shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

The bsod's are a once in a blue moon type of thing and not too bothered with that. Vista came with my pc, Dell XPS630i, q9450 quad, 4 g's of ram, although only sees 3, 750 gb hd, 2 x 9800gt sli. I also got a creative x-fi which I think is a poc soundcard. The sound occasionally pops and utilises one speaker only sometimes. I know what people say about dell pc's but I plan on building my own in future.

the 32bit key should work on a 64bit install disc. but you can't do an upgrade directly from 32bit to 64bit.

you'll have to source the disc image online yourself unless you want to buy again.

Yeah, don't mind buying it cheaply on ebay. Just want to confirm that I'm right in thinking with a 64-bit os, I can use more than 4 gb's of ram. It's the os that dictates your max ram?

yes 64bit allows 4gb+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    The bsod's are a once in a blue moon type of thing and not too bothered with that. Vista came with my pc, Dell XPS630i, q9450 quad, 4 g's of ram, although only sees 3, 750 gb hd, 2 x 9800gt sli. I also got a creative x-fi which I think is a poc soundcard. The sound occasionally pops and utilises one speaker only sometimes. I know what people say about dell pc's but I plan on building my own in future.
    Silly Q, but are you running All of the latest drivers for your Dell, available on your product page?

After a factory reset (rolls me back to the day I bought it) I need to go get my drivers; re-flash the BIOS; install the Intell Matrix Storage Manager, etc. and its the missing IMSM that was often the cause of many a BSOD in the laptops early days.

Yeah, updated the Bios but I never got a bsod since updating the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    Just want to confirm that I'm right in thinking with a 64-bit os, I can use more than 4 gb's of ram. It's the os that dictates your max ram?

Your hardware needs to be able to address more than 4gb also, so you'll need to check the motherboard specifications too.

D.

Yeah, checked that out too. It's an nvidia nforce 650i motherboard. So up to 8 gigs of ram.

Advertisement