Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can they charge

Options
  • 15-03-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My Husband has been off alcohol for a year, when he is out He drinks Erdinger alcohol frei. Can anyone tell me if there is a standard price for this drink? He has been charged from 4euro to 5.25 eu and recently a local pub has started to stock it at 7euro for a 500 ml bottle. Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Elizodon wrote: »
    My Husband has been off alcohol for a year, when he is out He drinks Erdinger alcohol frei. Can anyone tell me if there is a standard price for this drink? He has been charged from 4euro to 5.25 eu and recently a local pub has started to stock it at 7euro for a 500 ml bottle. Can they do this?

That's a rip off. i drink that quite alot in Cork and i'ts usually 3 euro something. But they CAN Charge what they like if people will pay it. There's no statutory limit on prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

The crazy anomoly is that a pub buys Erdinger NA in for the same price as normal Erdinger even though it's alcohol free. Being alcohol free it should be sunstantially cheaper as there is no excise duty on it...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Elizodon wrote: »

They can charge what they want, only stupid people will pay those prices

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

Just tell them the pub down the road charges 4 euro
    or try beck's non alcoholic it seems to be stocked in most places

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Elizodon

thanks to everyone for your replies, We have just been told that this pub has reduced its price inline with the other pubs! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

non-alcoholic beer actually contains a very small portion of alcohol. im not sure how they get away with labelling it 'non-alcoholic'.

I understand where youre coming from though! Being a complete non drinker myself, the price of a glass of coke in pubs is a ripoff! I dont know how they can sleep at night charging what they do. Last weekend my bf asked for a can of coke and was charged...5.60! They should make it easier for people who dont drink to go out aswell. Also for designated drivers, as not drinking is working out to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

non-alcoholic beer actually contains a very small portion of alcohol. im not sure how they get away with labelling it 'non-alcoholic'.

I understand where youre coming from though! Being a complete non drinker myself, the price of a glass of coke in pubs is a ripoff! I dont know how they can sleep at night charging what they do. Last weekend my bf asked for a can of coke and was charged...5.60! They should make it easier for people who dont drink to go out aswell. Also for designated drivers, as not drinking is working out to be more expensive.

Agree with you totally on the rip off for soft drinks in bars. It is about 6 euros for a rock shandy and the two bottles don't fill a pint glass. Something needs to be done about it, I have written to politicians about this but it goes into a big black hole. The Vintners lobby group is just too powerful and too many publicans in the Dail that nothing will ever be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I think there is certain regulations about that.
    I think there allowed to call it non-alcoholic if its .5 or below
    If it says Alcohol free then there must be no alcohol in it

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

NTMK wrote: »
    I think there is certain regulations about that.
    I think there allowed to call it non-alcoholic if its .5 or below
    If it says Alcohol free then there must be no alcohol in it

The 0.5% thing on the bottle is done as a disclaimer like may contain nuts etc. because these beers are produced in the same factories/breweries as alcoholic beers. They are Alcohol free

Advertisement