Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Electric Cars are Coming!!!

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

With electric cars fast approaching and ESB planing on having 1500 charging points installed over next two and a half years, will you be buying one?

The Nissan Leaf is the first car available, available before end of 2010 and then Renault bringing out one in 2011.

The aim is to utilise the Wind Energy produced at night, when there is very little demand usually, to charge electric vehicles. Hence being as environmentally friendly as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

4 plugs in the whole country as of now? Whoopee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

no

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Gymsey wrote: »
    The Nissan Leaf is the first car available

160 km max range, 8 hour charge time. Nope, that won't do it for me.

I also don't believe it'll be available in real numbers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'd get one in a heartbeat if my daily commute didnt exceed the maximum range of an electric car :)

Also I don't have a garage so i'd have nowhere to charge it.

We had a chance in work to try out a Mini Cooper Electric, great around the City, useless on the Autobahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I just got my new Avensis saturday but I have a deposit down for a RWD
    Tesla Model S due 2012. I'm supposedly the 5th person down for a RWD model.

http://teslamotors.com/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I thought this was the motors forum:rolleyes::D?

Those electric yokes will only sell to D4 stereotypes who pronounce words like car and like as "cor" and "loike" and have a feigned concern for the "envoyerment".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

160 km max range, 8 hour charge time. Nope, that won't do it for me.

I also don't believe it'll be available in real numbers this year.

A 100 mile range would work for me though.

The charging time is up to 8 hours, but if you are only doing 50 miles a day, that goes down to 4 hours on a 230 V socket.

With 110 HP and 210 foot/lbs of torque, it will be a very nippy little car too.

I'd love one, but would be curious to know what an 8 hour charge costs. My maths puts it at about €4 per charge at .16 Euro per kwHour.

At €4 per 100 miles, thats only 4 cent a mile - pretty cheap (if my calcs are right). 30 mpg at todays petrol prices is 19.5 cents a mile.

Also, no oil or fluid changes, no gears to worry about, no egr valves or O2 sensors to fail, no air filters, no plugs, etc etc etc.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    A 100 mile range would work for me though.

The charging time is up to 8 hours, but if you are only doing 50 miles a day, that goes down to 4 hours on a 230 V socket.

With 110 HP and 210 foot/lbs of torque, it will be a very nippy little car too.

I'd love one, but would be curious to know what an 8 hour charge costs. My maths puts it at about €4 per charge at .16 Euro per kwHour.

At €4 per 100 miles, thats only 4 cent a mile - pretty cheap (if my calcs are right).

Also, no oil or fluid changes, no gears to worry about, no egr valves or O2 sensors to fail, no air filters, no plugs, etc etc etc.

It looks feckin awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Those electric yokes will only sell to D4 stereotypes who pronounce words like car and like as "cor" and "loike" and have a feigned concern for the "envoyerment".

Electric motors are perfect for cars, much better than internal combustion engines. Max torque from zero revs, no need for a clutch or gearbox, and cheap to maintain and run.

Unfortunately, batteries are rubbish, and there's still no sign of a technology which will charge as fast or have the range of a petrol tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

mike65 wrote: »

if you thought the queues at petrol stations are bad... 8 hour charging time? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

mike65 wrote: »

They plug into a regular 3 pin socket, if you look around your house you'll probably come across a few more aswell......

Plus chances are petrol stations will jump on the band wagon and set up some sockets and make a few euros for themselves out of it

And before anyone says anything about leaving your car there for 8hrs....you can get a quick charge to 80% battery capacity....similar to quick charges of mobile phones at festivals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paddym355

cros13 wrote: »

I'm not jealous, oh no, not at all ;-)
    Fair play - if this car comes in at the advertised price it will be pretty awesome.
    I saw a press release from Tesla that their first RWD Roadster was sold to an Irish customer in 2010 so some lucky git is currently driving one of those around.

And to the poster above, bear in mind that electric cars should save you 80-90% on fuel costs so its good for the pocket, as well as the environment, and will also be handy when oil prices spike due to growing demand from BRIC and the fact that supplies that have most probably now reached a permanent plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

whats the price of that over here???

paddym355 wrote: »
    I'm not jealous, oh no, not at all ;-)
    Fair play - if this car comes in at the advertised price it will be pretty awesome.
    I saw a press release from Tesla that their first RWD Roadster was sold to an Irish customer in 2010 so some lucky git is currently driving one of those around.

And to the poster above, bear in mind that electric cars should save you 80-90% on fuel costs so its good for the pocket, as well as the environment, and will also be handy when oil prices spike due to growing demand from BRIC and the fact that supplies that have most probably now reached a permanent plateau.

Good for the pocket, but environment wise unless your running on Nuclear its not clean at all. Your just creating more polution at your Coal and Gas fired power stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If they stop making the affordable ones look like shíte and have the on board computer simulate a roaring V8... I'll think about.

robtri wrote: »
    whats the price of that over here???

I put a refundable deposit down. They haven't told me the price yet.

I'll be sharing a 5kW wind turbine with my neighbors from next year so the
    charging cost will hopefully be even cheaper. And with three-phase power
    from the turbine I should be able to use the quick 45min charge on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

Good for the pocket, but environment wise unless your running on Nuclear its not clean at all. Your just creating more polution at your Coal and Gas fired power stations.

The idea is use the wind energy produced at night when demand is low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paddym355

Nuclear, wind, hydro will all be relatively clean. Gas will be significantly cleaner than coal.

Wind is the one we will be relying on most in this country, although a small nuclear plant to replace Moneypoint would be nice at some point...

Even if the entire grid was coal fired electric cars would still give a saving in terms of CO2 emissions....

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/07/yes-electric-cars-will-reduce-carbon-emissions.html

Plus it's easier to put a scrubber for NOX, SOX, CO2 etc on one power plant as opposed to millions of cars.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's a smashing looking motor.

I need an estate version though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Well there are 6 morons in the Dail ( I know there are more than six ) but the ones to which I refer belong to a particular Cult who hopefully will be needing their own transport soon so there should be six sold anyway. But I suppose thay could rotate them !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

There's a really interesting docu on the demise of the Electric Cars in the US called "Who Killed The Electric Car?"

Well worth a watch if you can find it.

Wouldn't mind an EV-1 myself if they were still about!

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Won't this all be a big waste of time if hydrogen fuel cells are introduced? Factoring in charging time and range, you'd probably be much faster cycling then using one of these ipods...just all seems a bit redundant to be investing large amounts of money into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The other charging option being mentioned by Renault is a quick change battery pack.

Pull into "Petrol" Station. Apparently the entire battery pack can be replaced in 3 to 5 minutes - approx as long as one spends at the moment pumping fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unfortunately, batteries are rubbish, and there's still no sign of a technology which will charge as fast or have the range of a petrol tank.
    Pray that GM go bust :D

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Won't this all be a big waste of time if hydrogen fuel cells are introduced? Factoring in charging time and range, you'd probably be much faster cycling then using one of these ipods...just all seems a bit redundant to be investing large amounts of money into.

Hydrogen is a non-starter. The best hydrogen fuel cell in the lab operates at
    less than 60% efficiency. Hydrogen nowadays is usually made at extreme
    expense using natural gas. When you add in the transport cost and problems
    storing the hydrogen the math looks even worse. Especially after you
    consider that the electricity grid carries power to you at 99% efficiency.

And then after carrying the weight of a pressurized fuel tank and an
    expensive, possibly unreliable fuel cell you end up using the electricity to
    power the same electric motor as is in a pure-electric.

The "Hydrogen Economy" and the "Hydrogen Car" are ridiculous pipe dreams.

Battery technology can be improved given attention and funding.
    Lithium-titanate batteries for example could potentially make an electric car that
    charges to 80% in 5 minutes and 100% in a further 5 minutes.
    The Lightening electric car already uses Lithium-titanate but the production volumes
    are low and consequently the prices are very high.
    Battery swapping is a non-starter simply because it requires too much complex
    infrastructure.

The Hydrogen concept/test cars that twits like may/clarkson et al test drive usually cost
    upwards of €1m to produce and €150-300 to fill the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I am prepared to move from a petrol car to a hybrid to help the environment if I must. I'll have a lexus gs 450h. 340 bhp, 3.5L V6 petrol + electric motor & €630 tax & 0 to 100km/hr in just over 5 seconds.....
    The electric cars are a step too fair imo.

mickdw wrote: »
    I am prepared to move from a petrol car to a hybrid to help the environment if I must. I'll have a lexus gs 450h. 340 bhp, 3.5L V6 petrol + electric motor & €630 tax & 0 to 100km/hr in just over 5 seconds.....
    The electric cars are a step too fair imo.

Well the Model S should cost €80 per year to tax and does 0-100kph in 5.7 seconds.
    I looked at the 450h a while back but the VRT along with the running costs put me off.
    I even considered the Tesla Roadster for a while but I couldn't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

if you're concerned about CO2 emissions, change your diet, not your car

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Anyone know what sort of price is on the Nissan Leaf.
    I do 20 miles a day commute so the range isn't a problem for me, the price however would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Just out of curiousity - how much will it cost to replace the batteries after 5-7 years? Also, is there any indication as to how it might do in a EURO NCAP test?

Advertisement