Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a network for small business, whats required?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:08pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Mate of mine has asked me to post on his behalf here.

He is basically considering setting up a call centre in a small office.

There will be a maximum of 6 people (includes himself) working there.

He will be contracting to supporting a companies irish and possibly uk customers.

He has located office space and (not being au fait with networks etc) is wondering what should he look for to set up this fledgling network, broadband speeds, server(s), workstations, etc, can anyone here give their opinion of the typical requirements for such a startup?

Any other advice is warmly welcomed.

thanks in advance

Morph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

This is really pretty vague in requiremnets so it might be hard to recommend correct kit. Also its all about budget now a days..

As far a a network:

Cat5e would do fine going into a small soho cabinet terminated correctly and tested

Servers:

It all depends on the content and the use of the server. For example with a small size company one server might do sage, files sever, mail server etc where as other companies require 2 or 3 etc.

Worksattions:

Again you can go crazy here but some go for 300 euro boxes some go for the optiplex type with 3 year warranty. Again it also depends on use and demand.

Broadband:

Get the best you can afford with low contention and 7 day week call centre

Switches and electronics:

We use Netgear, reliable and well priced. Routers and switches and also Nas'

Other Points

We recently as part of ITG our sister business set up a similar system for a hotel and we found that our clients were originally going to spend a fortune and for no need. we looked at the job and toned it down and fitted it to their exact needs. People some times believe the more it costs the better, this is not always the way.

Ask you mate the following:

Has he a max budget he can not go above?

Has he any idea of potential demand from users of the Server and Worstations?

It he looking for all new and does he want extended warranties?

Is he any way IT aware? I say that as in does he know about this kit in anyways because if he doesnt just make sure he buys off someone whos not out to make a fast Euro...

If you need more detailed answers let me know and Im sure between me and the other usual Techies here we can go a long way to pointing your mate in the right direction...

Cheers,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

lads thanks a million,

ill send this all on to him and get back to you!

Dont you just love boards!:)

Advertisement