Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning away, Turning back

Options
  • 15-03-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but i'd like to share my story, if anyone would like to hear it. I'm an Irish guy who has been living abroad (Taiwan) for almost 2 years now. Living here has been quite interesting, but also frustrating and difficult at times, but all in all, I like it. I'm 24, and I used to be quite religious as a kid. I was raised Catholic, but as I got into my teens I lost touch with my religious side completely. I mean, I did some crazy things, crazy adventures and ended up in Taiwan. Being away from home, I would feel a bit homesick from time to time. A few months ago, I started thinking about religion again. After a lot of searching, I found a Catholic Church here with a Mass in English every sunday (I can't speak any Chinese, my secret shame), and I decided to go.

It's a small church, maybe about 20 people attend. Most seem to be from the Phillipines. I enjoyed the service, for some reason I was kind of surprised to find it the exact same as I remembered it from when I was young. I could remember most of the Apostles Creed word for word, things like that. I found the general atmosphere or vibe to be really nice and genuine - whereas at home I always felt a lot of people at Mass didn't want to be there, or maybe just go out of habit. Here, I felt like I was part of a group that really made an effort to be there. Anyway, these things started playing on my mind a lot, and I decided I wanted to go back to Mass again the following Sunday. In the mean time, I started saying a few prayers again, maybe while I was jogging or something. So, I started attending Mass again, and I spent a lot of time thinking about the things I used to believe in. I started reading up on stuff again. The strange thing about being here was that I don't know any other Catholics, so it felt more personal to me. Lent came, and I decided to give up the booze! I haven't taken Lent in any way serious since I gave up crisps about 15 years ago, hehe. To the amazement of my friends, I still haven't had any alcohol - which I'm proud of.

Also, I chatted with my mother and I shyly asked her to search my room for the old little blue New Testament bible I used to have when I started secondary school. She found it, sent it, but sadly it got lost in the post. I have tried to discuss religion with some local friends here, but a lot of my friends have a very hostile attitude towards my religion. Just yesterday one of my friends told me I'm just Catholic because of my parents, therefore I'm an idiot. I told him faith is a gift parents give their children, and that I don't really agree with people who say "If I have kids I'll wait til they're 18 and let them decide what to believe." I don't think it works that way, so I would rather raise a kid in any religion other than no religion. Suddenly I realised I really felt thankful for my upbringing. I don't mean that I think my religion is the "right" one or anything like that, I'm just glad I was brought up to believe something.

Yesterday, the priest talked about the Prodigal Son, and I really related to it. I just felt really... moved, or something. I can't quite explain. But it's a lonely experience here, and I just wanted to share it. It's on my mind a lot recently, and I wanted to get it off my chest. I feel like I'm at a crossroads or something at the moment, and I don't know where I'm going.

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Marty, you're very welcome to the forum. :) After all the shameful stuff we've heard in the media about the Irish Church recently, your story is very heart-warming. God called, you listened, Well done! Hang in there!

God bless you,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Thanks very much Noel.

I'm very aware of everything that's happening at home. I read all the news websites every day, I listen to some radio shows like Liveline. Whilst I have opinions on how everything was handled etc, I won't let the sins of other people turn me away from God. I've enough of my own sins, haha. I'm just trying to keep my mind open, and I feel like I'm hearing something. These are very tough times for everyone, and confusing times, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I was a bit similar to yourself, though not catholic. I had let my faith take a back seat for a few years, and while travelling for a year had a bit of an epiphany. Best thing that ever happened for me.

I also relate to your idea of your faith being a gift from your parents. Thats exactly how I look upon it. It saved my life tbh. Without it I'd probably still be out getting short term thrills, rather than feeling a bit more fulfilled with the Love of my life. My faith was directly responsible for me fighting against my urge to continue sleeping around. The scary thing is that I loved it at the time, and because I didn't know what a fulfilling relationship was like, and the popular belief was/is that its healthy to shag about when you're young I would have missed out on the most fulfilling event of my life. Marrying the woman I love. So while I ignored the gift given to me for a while, it saved me in the end.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

marty1985 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but i'd like to share my story, if anyone would like to hear it. I'm an Irish guy who has been living abroad (Taiwan) for almost 2 years now. Living here has been quite interesting, but also frustrating and difficult at times, but all in all, I like it. I'm 24, and I used to be quite religious as a kid. I was raised Catholic, but as I got into my teens I lost touch with my religious side completely. I mean, I did some crazy things, crazy adventures and ended up in Taiwan. Being away from home, I would feel a bit homesick from time to time. A few months ago, I started thinking about religion again. After a lot of searching, I found a Catholic Church here with a Mass in English every sunday (I can't speak any Chinese, my secret shame), and I decided to go.

It's a small church, maybe about 20 people attend. Most seem to be from the Phillipines. I enjoyed the service, for some reason I was kind of surprised to find it the exact same as I remembered it from when I was young. I could remember most of the Apostles Creed word for word, things like that. I found the general atmosphere or vibe to be really nice and genuine - whereas at home I always felt a lot of people at Mass didn't want to be there, or maybe just go out of habit. Here, I felt like I was part of a group that really made an effort to be there. Anyway, these things started playing on my mind a lot, and I decided I wanted to go back to Mass again the following Sunday. In the mean time, I started saying a few prayers again, maybe while I was jogging or something. So, I started attending Mass again, and I spent a lot of time thinking about the things I used to believe in. I started reading up on stuff again. The strange thing about being here was that I don't know any other Catholics, so it felt more personal to me. Lent came, and I decided to give up the booze! I haven't taken Lent in any way serious since I gave up crisps about 15 years ago, hehe. To the amazement of my friends, I still haven't had any alcohol - which I'm proud of.

Also, I chatted with my mother and I shyly asked her to search my room for the old little blue New Testament bible I used to have when I started secondary school. She found it, sent it, but sadly it got lost in the post. I have tried to discuss religion with some local friends here, but a lot of my friends have a very hostile attitude towards my religion. Just yesterday one of my friends told me I'm just Catholic because of my parents, therefore I'm an idiot. I told him faith is a gift parents give their children, and that I don't really agree with people who say "If I have kids I'll wait til they're 18 and let them decide what to believe." I don't think it works that way, so I would rather raise a kid in any religion other than no religion. Suddenly I realised I really felt thankful for my upbringing. I don't mean that I think my religion is the "right" one or anything like that, I'm just glad I was brought up to believe something.

Yesterday, the priest talked about the Prodigal Son, and I really related to it. I just felt really... moved, or something. I can't quite explain. But it's a lonely experience here, and I just wanted to share it. It's on my mind a lot recently, and I wanted to get it off my chest. I feel like I'm at a crossroads or something at the moment, and I don't know where I'm going.

:cool:

Look I don't want to derail the thread but your post to me says you're lonely and you're using religion as a means of filling that hole. Why don't you start learning Chinese and get exploring more again? If you randomly wandered and yet started a life in Taiwan of all places it sounds like you've had an interesting time to date. I'm just saying that religion might only be a stopgap solution to your current frustrations etc.

PS and OT: I'm giving up the ratrace and travelling to SEA sometime towards the end of the year. I'd love any hints or tips regarding how you managed to settle in Taiwan :)

Look I don't want to derail the thread but your post to me says you're lonely and you're using religion as a means of filling that hole. Why don't you start learning Chinese and get exploring more again? If you randomly wandered and yet started a life in Taiwan of all places it sounds like you've had an interesting time to date. I'm just saying that religion might only be a stopgap solution to your current frustrations etc.

Of course, these things don't have to be exclusive of each other, in fact one could compliment the other.

PS and OT: I'm giving up the ratrace and travelling to SEA sometime towards the end of the year.

Is there an 'envy' emoticon???!!! I'd recommend visiting 'The Seaflower', Had Chao Phao, Koh Phagnan, Thailand. Beautiful spot, but things are starting to get commercial, so before its spoiled. Anyway, enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Look I don't want to derail the thread but your post to me says you're lonely and you're using religion as a means of filling that hole.

I don't know, its not like he is sitting in a basement alone some where reading the New Testament and having long conversations with God. That would be trying to use religion to fill loneliness.

He has joined a social organisation, which is exactly what is a good idea when you move to a new place and are trying to meet now people.

Meeting people isn't a bad way to fill the hole of loneliness :D

As a die hard rabid atheist anti-theist I obviously would prefer if it was a bowling team :pac::P

But it is still a good idea to get out and meet people, even if it is through a church. That is exactly how you do fill the hole of loneliness.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I don't know, its not like he is sitting in a basement alone some where reading the New Testament and having long conversations with God. That would be trying to use religion to fill loneliness.

He has joined a social organisation, which is exactly what is a good idea when you move to a new place and are trying to meet now people.

Meeting people isn't a bad way to fill the hole of loneliness :D

As a die hard rabid atheist anti-theist I obviously would prefer if it was a bowling team :pac::P

But it is still a good idea to get out and meet people, even if it is through a church. That is exactly how you do fill the hole of loneliness.

Theres hope for you yet Wickie:)

Thanks for the response.

When I said "It's a lonely experience here", i meant being Catholic is a lonely experience - not having anyone to discuss religion with. In my personal life, I am pretty happy, and consider myself very fortunate to be away from Ireland in the current climate. You make a good point, but in response I have to say that I don't think i'm using religion as a way of filling a hole in my life, though I did consider what you said. Being in a foreign country like this, I was surrounded by temples and other parts of other religions, and people or some of my students (I'm just teaching English here) have asked me before about my religion, and what exactly is it Catholics believe. So I've had to actually think about stuff that never would've crossed my mind if i'd stayed in Ireland.

In a way though, it might be filling a hole for me. But not neccessarily loneliness. You've given me something to think about. Even though I've been attending the Church, I haven't been mixing much with people at the Church. For me, it's a personal thing. Meeting friends wasn't my intention, it's a kind of... spiritual fulfillment perhaps?

marty1985 wrote: »
    .....I won't let the sins of other people turn me away from God.
    Thank God for that! :)

That's definately not my style. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Look I don't want to derail the thread

Then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Thanks for posting your story.

I imagine it will make many of us here remember the time when we were there, searching for God and starting fellowship with him.

I don't think it's loneliness. I went through something similar and I think it was just me changing. Also believing, and coming to terms with my beliefs. Thank God, though, I went through this guided by Him.

It sounds like God is guiding you.

To find people like-minded ....

Have you tried to reach an organisation called YWAM (youth with a mission) Taiwan, you could get involved somehow as a Christian. I was with them in Cape Town and they have branches everywhere. It is non-denominational and everyone is welcome.

Just googled it, it's in a place called Taipei. I don't know if that's near you or not, but they might have other groups near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

You'd be surprised how living in a foreign country can affect people. My own situation is quite similar to the OP's and I've seen people like the OP find a lot of different things. Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Philosophy and even hobbies like martial arts.

I knew a big fat Canadian 2 years ago who is now a slim fit gumdo (Kendo) 3rd dan black belt.
    I knew a Christian from the phillipines who became Muslim and gave up drinking etc.

I don't want to suggest that the OP's reawakening/conversion is a phase or anything like that but I will say that the situation is very familiar to me, I've seen it, I've felt it myself. Its the old 'Irish abroad' at work. Never meet more religious, more patriotic, more 'Irish' Irish people then I meet abroad.

Foreign countries are unfamiliar and can be lonely. People want to fill the gaps.

Anyways OP, I'm glad your happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Great stuff. After reading your post I can draw a lot of parallels with my story and my return to faith, marty.

I plan to crack open a copy of it myself (I have to finish a few books first), and I thought perhaps you would enjoy reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. You can read the 1st chapter in full here.

Thanks guys for your input and also for the book reccommendation.

TravelJunkie: I actually live in Taipei, so i will give ywam's website a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Welcome home Marty, great story, I'm just in the door and read your wonderful testimony, Through the intercession of Mother Mary, may you live a peacful and happy life here in Ireland.

I love to discuss my Catholic faith with others, so please feel free to pm me or speak to us all here on Chrisitanity Boards.ie the place where we all do our best to spread the Good news of our Lord Jesus Christ

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Marty, your childhood memories of church are similar to mine. I grew up in Belfast and I attended mass every Sunday, but I never got much out of it. I just went to mass because I felt I had to and I spent an hour each week just going through the motions. Well, as I reached my mid-teens I stopped going to mass and eventually forgot all about religion. For the next twenty-odd years I continued my life until a couple of years ago I started looking around the various old churches in the English countryside. This led me to attend the occasional service, which in turn led me to buy a Bible and read bits and pieces of it. And now Im back to going to Mass every Sunday. And this time my heart is in it.

Hello Thomas, great news. This is one of the most positive threads we've had in a long time.

God bless,
    Noel.

Advertisement