Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone development

Options
  • 14-03-2010 8:12pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been trawling the Internet looking for an emulator or some sdk that will allow me to develop applications for the Iphone, but with no luck. Does anyone know what software I can download or where to go to get what I need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

You need to buy the Iphone SDK from apple.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I should have stated that Im looking for the sdk for windows, not mac!

Only Macintosh computers because the Software Development Kit is just a set of APIs, Libraries, and Runtimes that extend XCode (the Macintosh Developer Tools).

There are a ton of frameworks and such that only exist on the Mac OS X development layer that the iPhone SDK needs in order to compile and run.

And also, the language that the SDK uses, (Apple uses Objective-C) doesn't exist in Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Damien1989 wrote: »
    You need to buy the Iphone SDK from apple.

No, the SDK is free.

If you want to develop for the iPhone, you need a Mac of some sort, and then you need to download Xcode, the development suite.
    Xcode comes with a built-in emulator to run your iPhone apps. To get your apps onto an iPhone or iPod, you need to get them on the store.

To sell your apps on the app store, you need to pay €99 to apple, and they will handle all the distribution. It costs nothing to sell an app on the store, but all apps have to be approved by apple, and apple will take 30% of the price of whatever you charge.

Objective-C does actually exist on windows, and linux, but it might as well not,because no-one uses it. You can write your application almost completely in C or C++ if you want, but you will need to use a little Objective C at some stage.

Ah, Sorry. the €99 is where i got mixed up, I thought it was for the SDK. Thanks Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for that. I just hoped I could get an emulator online or something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

You might do better in mobile development ... I'll move this there

Advertisement