Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot's guide to buying a house?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 9:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere on boards or somewhere online with a comprehensive guide to buying a house.. like a step-by-step through finding a house on daft through to getting the keys- hiring people to check out the house for damp/cracks, getting a solicitor etc..
    I've checked the stickys but can't really find anything that covers the whole house buying process.

Thanks for any help. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

I thought this was a good brochure -

http://resources.ebs.ie/yesmag/buyingrules/start.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Well doing proper research like this is a good start, there are still a lot of people out there completely clueless about the current situation and who still want to "get their foot on the property ladder" or buy a "starter home". Both of these phrases are now bull and should be ignored completely.

Best advice I can give you right now is take your time to do your research. A couple of years ought to do it. I dont mean you need that much time, but your best bet is to wait and keep a careful eye on the market, and save as much as you can. Offered a 92% mortgage? Keep saving and make it 82, or as low as you can. I have no intention on buying myself for a few years yet, with or without the current situation. I still check on daft once a week and without taking any sort of formal notes, can very easily see trends and certain homes that arent shifting at all.

I dont know of any comprehensive guide online, but check out any threads here in the last 12 months where people are asking about buying houses/what to offer on a house, etc.. There is some great advice in them.

One last note is remember there are hundreds of thousands of empty homes around the country, the ball is in your court. Even if things start to go upwards again, however unlikely, dont make any rushed decisions.

Advertisement