Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Express: LASEK Post Procedure

Options
  • 14-03-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I wore glasses for 10 years and decided in 2008 that I was tired of wearing glasses and contact lenses so I decided to go for eye laser Surgery.

I went for a consultation in Optical Express in Cork and was generally happy with the information. I was meant to get the procedure done in Cork but received a phone call from Optical Express the day before saying that their machine was broken (very re-assuring!) and that I now had to make my way up to Dublin.

After getting the train up with my boyfriend, I was kept waiting 3 hours before I finally went in for the op. Afterwards, I was given no advice and told that I could go home. Within 20 minutes the burning pain was excruciating and to make matters worse I faced a 3+ hour train home (which broke down for 2 further hours :(!!) When home I was unable to look at any light due to the pain (even the mobile phone light was unbearable) - so for 3 days I couldn't sleep and the customer service from OE was non existent.

Eventually I was fine and managed to put up with the dryness. But, 18 months later I noticed that my eyesight was blurry again so went for a consultation with my local optician who confirmed that I would need to go back to glasses.

I am seriously annoyed at this stage and would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so did you get any refund/comeback? Does anyone know the consumer rights for this kind of procedure? (i.e. minimum amount of time before vision deteriorates)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Did you not go back for all the follow-up check up which are 24hrs/4days/1 week/one month/3 months/one year after surgery??

I had lasik done 6 weeks ago and was given plenty of info and an emergency number call if I had any problems but I saw the staff 24 hrs and a week after my surgery...there is a life time guarantee with the surgery so if your eyesight is bad again it can be fixed for free.
    OE are pretty throughout post-op and Im surprised your comments....I found them excellent in everyway.

I suggest you talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Blondie 84

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes completed all the regular check ups and I was honestly in so much pain and all they could say was 'use the painkiller drops that were provided'(only 2 capsules in the bag for first 3 days) and they refused to give me any more.the emergency number was always busy and when i eventually got through to them they told me there was nothing they could do to help etc. Lasik and Lasek procedures have different recovery time and pain levels which explains why your experience was probably better.Either way found the advice given non existent.

Went back to them just this Saturday gone and they did try and brush it off and say that it was probably just my health (which is fine). They finally agreed to investigate my case. I sent them 2 e-mails last week both of which were ignored. Will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

OK well thats good you went through the procedures. Stick with chasing them up because you have guarantees, I would go in in person if you can.

Advertisement