Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Tooth

Options
  • 14-03-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I was crunching some buckwheat kernels and seem to have broken one of my teeth. It is a molar which already had a large filling in the centre of the top surface so it was essentially just a filling surrounded by a wall of tooth on all sides and a piece of this 'wall' broke off on one side (facing the tooth behind it). There was no pain, at the time I thought there must have been something hard mixed in with the kernels but I must actually have been chewing the broken bit of my tooth. Anyway I noticed the missing bit brushing my teeth that night. So now I'm wondering do I need to do anything about it, I have dentist and hygienist appointments regularly so I will probably have one in a month or two anyway but I'm wondering if this might need urgent attention for any reason?
    Specifically:
    - Is it bad to leave the internal surface of the tooth exposed ?
    - I assume parts of the filling that weren't previously exposed now are, is this a problem (old style mercury filling)?
    - Finally, what could a dentist do for me anyway, can teeth be repaired ?

Thanks,

Usjes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there,

if you are not in pain and have a dental appointment in a month or so then it is no harm to wait. The filling can be repaired if possible. If it is very large it may need a crown or cap to protect what is left of the tooth.

What does buckwheat taste like as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've have a similar problem, one of my teeth is effectively the shell of the old tooth filled in, the root was drilled out and it's all filling. A while back the outside of the tooth cracked and half of it fell away exposing the filling. In the last month or so I've been getting a strange 'taste' from the tooth.
    Is this the the filler or something more serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi

the tase could be an infection or decay or part of the filling. It is impossible to say really so you should go and have it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Had the same thing happen me about 6 months ago. Had an old mercury filling in a molar. The side of my tooth cracked while I was eating a Caesar Salad :) Was in Belfast at the time and the Dentist there decided the best option was to place a white composite filling on the side of the tooth as that is the only thing that would bond in an awkward location. The tooth wasn't giving me any pain after it broke but I could feel the missing piece with my tongue. The new white filling worked perfect and I've had no real problems since. However, I get the odd sharpish pain when I eat or drink cold and hot food or drink at the same time. Probably due to the different fillings reaction to temperature change.

I'd say the filling won't last long before I need a crown though. If it breaks again, I may not have any other option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

A quarter of one of my top molars broke off today. The tooth had been filled already. There isn't any real pain yet, though the edge is jagged.

I'm seeing my dentist on Wednesday. Just wondering what I should expect. I've heard about root canals, and crowns, are these always necessary? Is there any way to escape these expensive procedures?

I don't enjoy dental treatment, but I'm not particulary nervous about it. It's more that I'm nervous about the impact on my bank account. Maybe someone could give me an indication of what I should expect to pay, if I do have to get a crown, and if it would be much cheaper in the North - I live near the border. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Woah, this thread is pretty old. I post that last reply nearly 2 years ago :) You'll be glad to hear I haven't needed to have any further work since and haven't had any trouble with the filling I got in my Upper Molar.

I guess it depends on how deep the filling required is, and the condition of the tooth so i don't think anyone here could really say for definite what's required without having a dentist look at the tooth.

If it just requires a filling, then the most you could expect to pay is maybe €60-80 but as far as I know Crowns cost upwards of €500-600 in the Republic. If I were in your position, I would opt to go to the North for treatment as I believe there is more value for money and you can find some really excellent dentists around Belfast. If you live near the border, I'd say it's probably worth the trip. I know they have the new Waterlaser drills in a few clinics there also which I believe require less removal of the intact part of the tooth compared with a regular mechanical drill. Also - it's far more painless. See <snip>

Best of luck with the treatment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The price differential between north and south no longer exists, only the notion that there is lingers on. Look online to verify this. You need a filling most likely that will cost between 60 - 150 euro depending on size, materials etc. I don't know of much else you can buy that will last 7-10 years for that money.

Find a local dentist who can see you for emergencies and routine visits and develop a habit of going on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

The price differential between north and south no longer exists, only the notion that there is lingers on. Look online to verify this. You need a filling most likely that will cost between 60 - 150 euro depending on size, materials etc. I don't know of much else you can buy that will last 7-10 years for that money.

Find a local dentist who can see you for emergencies and routine visits and develop a habit of going on a regular basis.

But I know an Irish dentist who charges €100 for a filling, I'd say go up North as fillings there are about €80 and you'd only use about €20-€30 of fuel and half a day of your life.

Bargain;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Anybody want to buy a good secondhand waterlase? I'm getting rid of mine. I've discovered that if I grow my finger nails 5mm and sharpen them to a conical shape they are fantastic for excavating caries - painlessly - and at a much lower cost to the patient.

Still having trouble fine tuning sterility issues. Suggestions welcome.icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭hg03 eyu

The mercury in dental amalgam must be affecting you

• Advertisement
Advertisement