Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I install my copy of W7 on this machine..

Options
  • 14-03-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I am looking at a friends laptop at the moment. It's all clogged up with the usual crap.

It's one of the laptops that was bought with Vista but is eligble for a "free" Windows 7 upgrade.

I'm aware that to get this upgrade you need to fork out some cash for the disc and postage etc.

Just wondering can I call HP and get the version of W7 and a CD-KEY. Then can I download an ISO or something and just install it. Legally of course?

Basically is there any legal way to upgrade to W7 without forking out for the disc and postage? If it's free then they should be willing to provide the licence information over the phone..

Thanks..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

even if they gave you the serial over the phone you would not have the sticker that proves you have a license.

also the guys on the phone don't have access to the warehouse where the serials are

they would loose *€20-30 so would be kinda stupid

It's like free flights on budget airlines, you still have to pay taxes and charges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

So i'll be getting a licence sticker and all then?

I didn't know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Yeah you would get a DVD with the OS Install and an updated OEM license sticker.

Well I would presume this is the way it works. I've not upgaded like this. So not 100% how it works. And not too sure what you get in the pack from HP as there isn't much information out there.

I've seen one of these upgrades from a Medion laptop. It came with a new COA and installation disc. However the key cannot be used to do a clean install, if you do it tells you the key is invalid for activation and doesn't allow you to do a phone activation. MGADiag.exe shows it as a type 2 (OEM SLP) key. So you must do an upgrade.

Advertisement