Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old reliables

Options
  • 14-03-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

I was going through my game collection yesterday,and it's safe to say i have a pretty sturdy collection that i have aquired throughout the years.PS1, PS2, PS3 and PC games are all represented.It got me thinking about how many of them do i actually still play,and in all honestly the answer is, about two of them and they are both PC games.Empire total war and my all time fav is Company of heroes.
    Sorry i should probably point out I'm talking about single player only,as of course multiplayer has extended the life of my more recent purchases e.g Killzone MW2 etc..
    I suppose It's easy to see why i go back to these games as their game play is not as linear as most other titles,and the experience is slightly different every time.
    So what about you guy's,what are the games you can pick up and play at any time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks to the modding community, I still play RTW and MIITW in some guise or other on a semi-regular basis. Currently playing Third Age TW (a mod for MIITW Kingdoms), and hoping EBII is released soon. Never really got into Empire unfortunately...

TES: Oblivion and STALKER will be getting re-installed over the summer as well.

Oh, and I recently played through Resident Evil 4 again on Gamecube, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For me it's anything that has a pick up and play arcade feel. So I mainly stick with my games for the Megadrive, Snes and Neo Geo...although been playing a lot of Shooters on the Dreamcast and Saturn lately. Things like Contra, Metal Slug, MUSHA, Blazing Star, Puzzle Bobble, Ikaruga, Layer Section etc. Run and Guns, Shooters (space shooters, not FPS!) puzzle games, platformers and fighters. They all have a very high replay value. I just try to get through them with one credit. If I don't I can come back and try again. I could pretty much play games like that over and over forever.

I just don't have the time for playing through really involving games anymore. Too much going on. Trying to get through FF XIII at the moment and finding it a total struggle to sit down for long periods. Play for an hour last night, thought 'meh, don't have time for this..' so ran off for a game of Under Defeat on the Dreamcast instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Find myself always returning to BF2 and CS: S

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Almost forgot about light gun games. I play Time Crisis 1, Project Titan, 2 & 3 and Crisis Zone all the time. I've had Time Crisis and the Gcon since release on the ps1 and it still hasn't gotten old yet.

Also love Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2 for the Megadrive. Dual light guns is too much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mainly the stategy games have lasting appeal for me. I still play Rome Total War and probably would still play Shogun and the first Medieval if I could get them to work. The XCom games still get a run out too, and the old Civs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

weiland79 wrote: »
    I was going through my game collection yesterday,and it's safe to say i have a pretty sturdy collection that i have aquired throughout the years.PS1, PS2, PS3 and PC games are all represented.

Sounds like a fairly weak collection if you've limited yourself to just one console at a time and a pc tbh.
    You'll have missed out on some gems like Metroid Prime, the definitive version of Resi 4 and so on...

For me it'd have to be Super Metroid anyway - it just feels right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Can't go wrong with a good puzzle game like Tetris or Bust a Move. Worms on the ps1 comes out every time I have mates over as well, classic.

I could happily play streets of rage non stop as well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Red Alert 2's a game I like to go back to often enough, it has a lot of lasting appeal for me personally. I could play Smash Bros. and Mario Kart for hours before I got bored. SMB3, LoZ: AlttP and LoZ: LA are also ones I like to revisit.

TF2's a multiplayer game I find has had a lot of lasting appeal which is not just due to the updates. Have been neglecting my other gaming duties because of an addiction that crops up all too often.

Not many games I can go back to that aren't mostly pick-up-and-play. I have tons of long, story-driven games lying around that need completing but can never find the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There are a few games that i quite often return to, when i'm bored. Freedom Fighters, a hugely overlooked gem, is regularly played. Homeworld 1/2, the best space-opera money can but, havent been uninstalled since i first got them. Oblivion is regularly reinstalled, to try out the latest batch of mods.

But i think Baldur's Gate 2 is my most returned to game. So much to do, and so many different way's to do things. Fantastic story, superb engine and music, great characters. Its definitely one of my all time favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

a link to the past

i never, ever, ever, ever get tired of that game

ever

sheer perfection in absolutely every possible way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

After reading that a new patch had been released for Warcraft 3 yesterday, I thought that I'd fire it up for a quick blast.
    Still feels fresh and is incredibly playable to this day (8 years on)

2 hours of my life just disappeared while playing it, in a good way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Three weeks ago I decided to bring my N64 and Megadrive out of retirement.

Had great fun playing golden oldies like Lylat Wars, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda and then the sega games like Road Rash, Streets of Rage, Desert Strike, Sonic, Micro Machines and Golden Axe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ocarina of Time and FFVII. Don't think I'll ever tire of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Half Life 2 gets broken out every year for a quick playthrough and when the mood strikes I go back over Baldur's Gate now and again. Games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion I'll probably play 2-3 times before leaving them for a long time.

Civilisation 4 also gets broken out now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Rock band 2, I know it's not an "old" reliable but have it since it came out and it's the only game I can just put on and play of an evening if I'm bored and I don't have to concentrate on achievements, trophies or finishing it. I just play it.

Now that some one else mentioned it , a link to the past is well over due another play, Zombies at my neighbours is another old favourite of mine too.

Advertisement