Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get nail extensions/fake nails done, which type are best?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 5:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am a lifelong nail biter and the only thing that helps me quit (for a few months at least :rolleyes:) is false nails.
    I usually just buy them in Boots but this time I want to get them done by a nail tech.
    What kind of nails are best? I've heard the gel ones will ruin your real nails and you have to keep getting them done to hide the damage, is this true?
    I want ones that will last for a couple of weeks at least but won't ruin my real nails.

Thanks

Magenta
    Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

I have had both gel and acrylic nails. I have acrylic at the moment. The only difference i see between them is the slightly different application. Many believe that gel is more pliable therefore less breakage. Both are damaging to a degree to the nails. So i try and have a break from them, to give my nails a rest, over a period of weeks. Look after them with manicures, hand creams and cuticle oils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jean99

Hi Magenta,

I have been using Nail Magic fake nails for years. I find them brilliant. I don't need to go to the nail bar and they have a great selection of styles to choose from. I prefer the short French manicure ones. There are lots of colours to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Magenta
    Your nails will only be ruined if you go to a bad nail tech.
    They will be weakened wether you go to a bad one or a good one.
    When you get them on they will start growing out like mad- they will look good for about 2 weeks after which you will need them refilled so keep that in mind. They won't be as easy to whip off as the ones you buy in boots. They look great though and are very durable. I've had gel ones on - acrylic are much stronger but there arent many pro's who can do them well so I would recommend gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What about the everlasting gel nails? These sound like a good happy medium to me ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

It's great that you're looking for alternatives to nail-biting, and false nails can be a helpful solution. When it comes to getting your nails done by a nail technician, there are a few different options to consider, each with its own pros and cons.

1. Gel nails: Gel nails are a popular choice as they offer a natural and glossy look. When applied and maintained properly, they can last for a couple of weeks. Gel nails involve applying a gel polish to your natural nails and then curing it under a UV or LED light. When it's time to remove them, it's important to have a professional nail technician remove them to minimize damage to your natural nails.

While gel nails can be long-lasting and provide added strength to your natural nails, improper application or removal can potentially damage your nails. It's crucial to choose an experienced nail technician who follows proper procedures and uses high-quality products.

1. Acrylic nails: Acrylic nails are another option to consider. They are created by applying a liquid monomer and a powdered polymer to your natural nails, creating a hard protective layer. Acrylic nails can also last for a few weeks before requiring maintenance or fills.

Acrylic nails have been known to cause more damage to the natural nail bed if not applied or removed correctly. It's important to find a skilled nail technician who can minimize any potential harm.

1. Dip powder nails: Dip powder nails involve applying a colored powder onto a base coat and sealing it with a top coat. They can provide a long-lasting and durable result, lasting for several weeks.

Dip powder nails are generally considered less damaging to the natural nails compared to acrylic or gel nails. However, proper application and removal are still essential to maintain the health of your natural nails.

Regardless of the type of false nails you choose, it's important to follow proper aftercare instructions and have them maintained or removed by a professional nail technician. This will help minimize any potential damage and allow your natural nails to remain healthy.

Consulting with a nail technician who can assess your nail condition and recommend the best option for you is highly recommended. They will be able to provide personalized advice based on the current condition of your nails and help you achieve the desired results while maintaining the health of your natural nails

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement