Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help test my Android App please!

Options
  • 14-03-2010 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I am looking for people with Android phones to help me test an app which I have just put onto the Android Market. The app name is 'Chartai Beta' and it extends the normal phone contacts to include links to web sites or social networking sites per user.

You will need to register on Chartai.com where you can add your contacts or import from Gmail and Facebook. You can then sync these contacts with your phone. I am already aware of areas for improvement but would be grateful to hear any feedback any Android users might have. I am planning to release versions for other Phone OS too.

If you are interested then give it a try and let me know what you think.
    If you can't find it on the market then please let me know which Android device you are using.
    You can PM me or use my email address as provided on the Market.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

testing on my g1 1.6 at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

Cool, let me know how it performs and how I can improve it please.

I have a few people I know testing and I have noticed one thing.
    They miss the point of the web portal.

The app uses the details from the web portal combined with the contacts on your phone. It should combine both (if the user name is identical).

It is better however to update the contacts on the web portal because then the app can actually restore the contacts completely to your phone.

My friends have missed that point. For me it works because the phone syncs to Gmail and then I can import from Gmail to Chartai. Then I do the Facebook import and it adds their profile link and their website from Facebook if they have one.

Sounds a bit weird but it's actually fairly user friendly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I got it alright :D

It might be a good idea to add more features to the website though.

Also it adds all my contacts to my native contacts app but I can only access there facebook links if I go into Chartai itself, more integration with the native contacts app would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Havnt used the app yet but ive a quick question about the web portal.
    When it imports my contacts is there a reason it only take the ones with e-mail addesses?
    The main reason I have my contacts in Google is for android so a lot just have phone numbers

Havnt used the app yet but ive a quick question about the web portal.
    When it imports my contacts is there a reason it only take the ones with e-mail addesses?
    The main reason I have my contacts in Google is for android so a lot just have phone numbers

Good point.

Try it now.
    It should now import your contacts that do not have an email address.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    I got it alright :D

It might be a good idea to add more features to the website though.

Also it adds all my contacts to my native contacts app but I can only access there facebook links if I go into Chartai itself, more integration with the native contacts app would be nice

Let me know the features you think would be cool on the site.

At the moment I have decided to go with the development as a separate app to the native contacts app. I am not ruling out integrating with it though when I think it is OK to do so.

Mullins07 wrote: »
    Good point.

Try it now.
    It should now import your contacts that do not have an email address.
    Works now thanks :)
    Next question.
    Dont suppose theres any way to manually select which Google & Facebook contacts are associated with each other or could this be implemented at some stage?(Some are shorter/different/nicknames in the phonebook)

Works now thanks :)
    Next question.
    Dont suppose theres any way to manually select which Google & Facebook contacts are associated with each other or could this be implemented at some stage?(Some are shorter/different/nicknames in the phonebook)

I was considering a merge feature alright. Maybe I will go ahead and add this next.

After you merge then the next time you import from Facebook it would check the profile addresses of existing contacts and leave them be if the person is already there, even if the name is different.

The Facebook profile would have to be unique, but you get to override the contact's name from Facebook.

Know what I mean?

Mullins07 wrote: »
    I was considering a merge feature alright. Maybe I will go ahead and add this next.

After you merge then the next time you import from Facebook it would check the profile addresses of existing contacts and leave them be if the person is already there, even if the name is different.

The Facebook profile would have to be unique, but you get to override the contact's name from Facebook.

Know what I mean?
    Pretty much the same way the integration on HTCs Sense is like?
    Thatd be exactly what I mean

Advertisement