Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car mp3 player that syncs with the house via wifi?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I have one of these in my car - it wakes up at night and checks if my home wireless network is in range, and if so it syncs with my music collection (ie mp3 files) on my home server. Only thing is it's not an all in one unit, as it has no amp or radio.

Am looking for a suitable replacement, ideally one that has eveything in one unit... anyone come across anything?

omnifi-car1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

That links timing out on me, but I understand it to be for an Omnifi.

Would a car PC do what you want?

I know car PCs aren't cheap, but I can't see anything (other than what you have) that is just a WiFi car stereo yet, and nothing appears self contained in the one box.

The only one all-in-one-box PC I found so far was the JKM infill G4., that is DIN W / double DIN.

How big is this dashboard slot BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why not just connect an iphone/ipod touch to your car...
    You've got all your music + internet then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

macplaxton wrote: »
    That links timing out on me, but I understand it to be for an Omnifi.
    It is an Omnifi. Here it is on Amazon.

I have a double-DIN slot now, but I don't have £1200 to spend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Build a unit and stick it in the boot

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Been there done that. I want everything in one unit, not a seperate PC, amp, radio, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

JHMEG wrote: »
    Been there done that. I want everything in one unit, not a seperate PC, amp, radio, etc etc.

You could get it all in one unit apart from the amp. I dont think what you are looking for exists dude.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I have a double-DIN slot now, but I don't have £1200 to spend!

Give it a few years then, they'll be 50 yoyos in Lidl. :D

Seriously, I know of nothing at present. If something comes to market, that nice and tidy in one box I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Happened across this today: plugs into a USB in on your current stereo (if you have one) to give full WiFi and 3G access within the car and synchs with your home network.

http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=wid11genuserguidev1.01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Happened across this today: plugs into a USB in on your current stereo (if you have one) to give full WiFi and 3G access within the car and synchs with your home network.

http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=wid11genuserguidev1.01.pdf

great find if you want the whole package its €279 for wifi-sync-internet radio of for sync only its €179 only prob is i suppose you need a radio which can be connected to an external hardrive while still leaving the usb port free for the dension wi-drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you have 2 DIN slots you could run the existing headunit through the a new one.
    Seen it done with JDM stuff like DVD players and Minidiscs

Advertisement