Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10.0 Pitchfork Rating - New Pavement album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

There's been a few of late. The Spiritualized reissue of 'Ladies and Gentlemen' got 10.0 a few weeks back. If Animal Collective recorded a burpathon and released it, that too would get the elusive 10.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Best-of. I thought you were on about an album of new material. Probably should get into the band some more -- Brighten The Corners took me a while to get into but there are a few class songs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Monzo wrote: »
    Best-of. I thought you were on about an album of new material. Probably should get into the band some more -- Brighten The Corners took me a while to get into but there are a few class songs on it.

sorry my mistake, didnt realise it was a best of,
    dont know the band, getting into it now though

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Check out http://www.ripfork.com

Nicely takes apart the self-important, too clever by half writing style of pitchfork and their kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was 10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

There 10/10 review of Kid A is absoulutely hilarious.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

'The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax. It's an album of sparking paradox.'

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

We interrupt this thread for some breaking news...

Pitchfork.com, has reportedly given a huge rating to a band solely based on its indie credentials and machine gunned the review with ridiculous hyperbole.

Personally i'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The world has ended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

I detest pitchfork. Up their own arses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

"Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence
    expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published
    Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website.
    According to the review, authored by Pitchfork editor in
    chief Ryan Schreiber, the popular medium that predates
    the written word shows promise but nonetheless "leaves
    the listener wanting more."
    "Music's first offering, an eclectic, disparate, but mostly functional compendium of
    influences from 5000 B.C. to present day, hints that this trend's time may not only have
    fully arrived, but is already on the wane," Schreiber wrote. "If music has any chance of
    keeping our interest, it's going to have to move beyond the same palatable but
    predictable notes, meters, melodies, tonalities, atonalities, timbres, and harmonies."
    Schreiber's semi-favorable review, which begins in earnest after a six-paragraph
    preamble comprising a long list of baroquely rendered, seemingly unrelated anecdotes
    peppered with obscure references, summarizes music as a "solid but uninspired effort."
    "Coming in at an exhausting 7,000 years long, music is weighed down by a few too
    many mid- tempo tunes, most notably 'Liebesträume No. 3 in A flat' by Franz Liszt and
    'Closing Time' by '90s alt-rock group Semisonic," Schreiber wrote. "In the end, though
    music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of
    Pavement."
    While Schreiber concedes that music is still "trying to find its aesthetic," he also claims the form has not yet lived up
    to the lavish praise heaped on it by pop culture journalist Chuck Klosterman and 19th-century French romantic
    composer and critic Hector Berlioz, among others.
    Schreiber concludes his critique by calling on music to develop a more cohesive sound in its future releases.
    "We can only hope that [music] will begin to grow with its fans over the next few millennia," Schreiber said. "If it can
    stick to what it does well, namely the song 'Peg' by Steely Dan, and Tuvan throat singing, then a sophomore effort
    will indeed be something to get excited about."
    The review has split the music community, with many decrying Pitchfork's lukewarm reception of music as a
    contrarian move designed to propel the publication's tastemaker status.
    "It's elitism for the sake of elitism," said Rolling Stone senior editor David Fricke, who refuted Pitchfork's middling
    rating, describing the entire art form as "transcendent." "I've been listening to music for over 30 years, and it's
    consistently some of the best stuff out there."
    Despite music's defenders, the Pitchfork review has made a deep impression on the thousands of music fans who
    slavishly follow the website's advice when it comes to enjoying things.
    "Music used to be great, but let's be honest, it's a 6.8 now at best," said Los Angeles resident Lowell Radler, 23,
    who admitted that he just looked at the rating rather than reading the whole review. "I seriously might never listen
    to music again."
    Still, most analysts agreed that the impact of Pitchfork's scathing review of music will be dampened by the 2.4
    rating it received from Pitchfork staff writer Dave Maher just moments after the initial critique was published online.
    Maher termed Schreiber's assessment of music "overwrought, masturbatory posturing intended to make insecure
    hipsters feel as if they're part of some imagined elite beau monde."

- from the onion a while back. Classic.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

They've given tons of albums 10s; Stone Roses, Radiohead, Beatles, Pavement, Sonic Youth are just are few that have received them off the top of my head.

It's not really that rare.

I tend to agree with them when they love an album that much; usually it's fairly uncontroversial. Obviously, that's not always the case; I'm having a hard time getting through Spiritualized for instance.

Pitchfork can be quite a handy tool; I've found some of my favourite music ever by just browsing their lists and checking the odd rating or two.

...I just tend to avoid the actual review itself.

As for Pavement, one of their actual studio albums that received a 10 was Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. On the basis of the rating I checked it out and absolutely loved it; then went on to check out all the rest and, as a result, am now a big Pavement fan :).

If you're interested in getting to know them, I highly recommend that as a starting point/follow-up to the new record. The tracklist for the greatest hits seems pretty awesome though, so that's a good entry point too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Pitchfork gets a lot of stick, and deservedly so at times, but its still an incredible resource. Just try avoid the arrogance.

That Onion article is priceless. If you want to see what happens when an artist, to an extent, fights back try Ryan Adams' interview from 2004, post the 'Love is Hell' and 'Rock and Roll' incidents. Classic example of what happens when a journalist just doesn't really get an artist.

Oh and, get "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" as one poster said. Certainly one of my favourite albums ever. Great introduction to a great band.

Sauron wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time getting through Spiritualized for instance.

Dude make the effort...Ladies and Gentlemen is definately in my top ten..

(not that i actually have a top ten...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

plus 1,000,000 on Crooked rain, Crooked rain.

Incredibly proud to say it was the first cd I ever bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

What was the first score they gave Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space? Somehow doubt they gave it a 10/10.

Advertisement