Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos - Allowed for Catholics?

Options
  • 13-03-2010 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

When in America many years ago I got a tattoo from a deeply Christian guy. He was a cool bloke and was layered in religious tattoos. I recently wa telling a friend about my first tattoo and he said that tattoos were not only against Cathooic teachings, but Chrsitiam teachings.

Is his true? Are tattoos frowned upon in a religious sense here? Of so, why?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28)

My understanding of it is that it hinges on whether you believe Christians are subject to commands that are found in the Old Testament.
    Some think so, others do not. (An interesting point here I find is that if you do think the Old Testament should be adhered to, I hope a lot of Christians have a sharp knife and a steady hand!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Nevore wrote: »
    “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28)

My understanding of it is that it hinges on whether you believe Christians are subject to commands that are found in the Old Testament.
    Some think so, others do not. (An interesting point here I find is that if you do think the Old Testament should be adhered to, I hope a lot of Christians have a sharp knife and a steady hand!)

So it boils down to whether or not you take the O.T. at face value? So this artist could be okay here - there's no hard and fast rule then?

No hard and fast rule for it, no. I swear they make it up as they go along. ;)

I think the consensus on here (actually I think it was the tattoos and piercings forum that the thread was on, not christianity) was that tattoos are a-ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mehfesto wrote: »
    So it boils down to whether or not you take the O.T. at face value? So this artist could be okay here - there's no hard and fast rule then?

If you take the OT at face value you're already screwed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Some allow them and some don't, OP, depends on denomination etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

The following links from Catholic apologist Michelle arnold should answer your Question on whether or not it is sinful to get a tattoo.

"Other than a general injunction that there is an obligation to be mindful of bodily health and to avoid spending on luxuries money that one cannot afford, the Church does not take a position on body enhancements such as tattoos. So long as you take the proper precautions to safeguard your health and so long as the money it would cost is not needed for personal obligations, you are free to get a tattoo."

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=142290
    http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=39833

with the above said, I personally would never consider getting a tattoo, just not my thing.

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Nevore: Indeed, that passage used to be a motivation as to my position on tattoos, but one has to take into account the context of the time in which it was written.

Tattoos and gashing were associated with Baal worship. This is the reason why God forbade the Israelites do it, as it implied an allegiance to another god.

It depends by and large on whether or not you think that getting a tattoo signifies entering into allegiance with another god or not.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Nevore: Indeed, that passage used to be a motivation as to my position on tattoos, but one has to take into account the context of the time in which it was written.

Tattoos and gashing were associated with Baal worship. This is the reason why God forbade the Israelites do it, as it implied an allegiance to another god.

It depends by and large on whether or not you think that getting a tattoo signifies entering into allegiance with another god or not.
    Ahh, I hadn't heard that interpretation of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Jakkass wrote: »

I agree with you on this Jakkass and it brings to mind the practice of Yoga. Some Christians believe this is a no no area because of it's origins but yet most people who practice it have no idea to it's links with Yogi philosophy and do it purely for the emotional and physical benefits. (Bit off topic, sorry...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Cheers lads/lasses.
    I was just wondering really if Christian tattoos were esentially a way of proclaiming how little you actually know about your religion so thanks for the clear up!

I'm a fair but ignorant of both the religious and atheist here and u don't want to to appear trolling. I'm genuinely interested in the two forums and what you all have to say!

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm a Christian and I don't see any problems with tats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

As a Christian, I would say it depends on the subject matter of the Tattoo.

Personally, I don't like them and don't see the point (no pun intended)

Advertisement