Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out

Options
  • 13-03-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

first time post looking for some advice

The story so far, currently renting apartment, originally had six month lease that finished on 1st january 2010, said we would renew lease for a further six months while house hunting. Landlord agreed and said they would send new lease to sign. New lease never arrived and never signed anything so was just paying rent each month.
    Ended up getting sale agreed on house recently. Rang landlord out of courtesy to say we would probably be moving out around April and would get back to them with exact date. Landlord then advertised property as available on 1st April. Rang them back and said we expected to be gone by 10th April. They then said they wanted us out by 30th March so they could clean house. I said I had paid a full months rent and there were 31 days in March. So they said 1st April. This obviously doesn't suit us. All dealings so far have been orally.

any advice or opinions are appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Define recently? You say you recently went sale agreed. Judging by your reference to having paid rent for March I'm guessing you have only gone sale agreed since then?

To be honest I think your landlord has every right to insist you vacate on the 31st. They need to get tenants in asap, you said you were leaving around April so they advertised from April. Unless you agreed that you could pay part rent in April then I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

MIght be worth paying rent for all of April to give yourself some breathing room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

As you never signed a new lease you fall under Part 4 tenancy, meaning you are entitled to and you must give the landlord 28 days notice in writing - if this means that your notice period runs past the 01st April then you are entitled to stay, if not then its an unfortunate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I have something similar in my lease which asks the tenant to vacate about 48 hours before their rent for the week "expires." I.e. rent is paid on Wednesdays but if you leave they want the key on Mondays rather than Tuesday to which you ought to be entitled. Its difficult.

Advertisement