Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ over lan / CAT5E

Options
  • 13-03-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Sky+ over LAN
    Hi & thanks in advance,

Basically I've got my place wired with Cat5E back to patch panel & a 24port Zyxel switch, Ive got a pc + television with scart,co-ax,rgb in connections on it & 2 data sockets next to it, in my bedroom, and Ive sky+ box downstairs next to a data outlet, Is there anyway I can convert the Co-Ax or scart out of the sky+ to CAT5 send it over my Lan to the outlet upstairs and convert it back to show on my television?

Does Anyone know if this is even possible or am I asking to much here?

Thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am sure it is "possible" but I doubt it is worth trying to do so I doubt you will get to do it.

I am all for cool ideas but I do not see a real reason to do it from my point of view.

Good luck with the project though.

I imagine you will need some sort of PC on both ends that digitise the image from the sky box and then shows it on the TV at the other end, that would work but the power required makes it only a novelty from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Yes, it's possible and not too expensive (relatively speaking) using AV baluns at either end. Something like this: http://www.svideo.com/scartbalun.html

I came across this company at one of those Ideal Homes exhibitions a while back doing something similar http://www.hitechhomes.ie/

I'm not sure about if it will work through the switch but I imagine it should, it's just data after all.

One thing to consider is that you won't be able to control the Sky box from the bedroom. If you want that then you're better off using the standard RF2 out return to the TV distribution system and power injectors/bypass splitter amp which you'll find in the Satellite forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.balun

they are low bandwidth, they will carry a composite signal, like the output from the scart cable, they won't carry as many channels as proper co-ax

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Any updates are welcome as i am also about to embark on the Cat6 / balun route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pocky

SC024 wrote: »
    Sky+ over LAN Is there anyway I can convert the Co-Ax or scart out of the sky+ to CAT5 send it over my Lan to the outlet upstairs and convert it back to show on my television?
    No, it is NOT possible as you are not converting the scart or co-ax output to ethernet/data frames. The whole idea about video signals such as scart or coax over twisted pair cable (CatX) is tu use baluns. They balance and unbalance the signal so that it can be transmitted over twisted pair, they don't convert it to data frames. So you can't use your LAN switch to transmit!
    SC024 wrote: »
    Does Anyone know if this is even possible or am I asking to much here?
    What you can do is use CatX baluns at both ends and a straight through 8 wire RJ45 to RJ45 cable to connect at the patch panel from room to room. So bypassing the LAN switch

Advertisement