Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe areas to live in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 13-03-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm a female in my mid-20s and I've just moved back to Dublin from abroad to start a new job. As I'm quite clueless as to where I should live, sifting through Daft is proving quite a nightmare :( I'll be working on the quays close to Smithfield and the Four Courts and I'm wondering what would be the best area to live in, so as not to have to take multiple forms of transport to work every day. Does anyone know for example if Smithfield is a safe area? or Temple Bar? Or could you suggest other areas? All advice greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'm a female in my 30s living in Smithfield and I find it safe enough. I've never been threatened walking home late at night, and I come home late alone fairly often. Was burgled once (after leaving an accessible window open overnight :o ) but that's the worst that's ever happened to me - touch wood! I think you'd be grand here as long as you keep your wits about you, it's definitely no worse than any place else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eurochick

Thanks a lot for that! I guess keeping your wits about you really is the key!
    Does anybody else have their experiences of other areas? Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You could get a studio in Rathmines for about €500pm, which would be a 20 minute walk to the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A studio in Rathmines...something that would make me want to top myself!

OP - Smithfield is grand, as is Stoneybatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nevermind safe, I would not live in Temple Bar...due to noise at all hours!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I have a friend that lives in the Portabello side of Rathmmines, 15 min walk to Stephens Green and not too much more to where you would be working, Luas near by and a good variety of shopping in walking distance. Sweet spot for all round city living but quiet at the same time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Around St. Patricks Cathedral is nice, plus like a 10min walk from the 4 Courts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Rathmines or Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anywhere around D2,3,4,6,7 & 8 are fine. Some parts of D1 - up around Sean McDermott st etc isn't so hot. If you find somewhere nice within 15 mins walk and reasonable price - go for it. For handiness, I'd say Smithfield/Stoneybatter/Phibsboro is probably the most convenient for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF YOU want it cheap you go for a studio flat.Smithfield is closer to the city centre, but theres loads of apartments near,on the quays, eg batchelors walk area has apartments and its safe, 5mins walk from o,connell st.

OBVIOUSLY walking round dublin after 9pm,you need to be careful, if you carry a handbag ,dont have, money ,or credit card, phone in it.You dont say are you looking for a flat or an apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I lived in Dublin city centre for about 12 years, both in "good" and "bad" parts of the city.

If you have your wits about you and you're not looking for trouble you won't have any problems.

Advertisement