Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser choice

Options
  • 13-03-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Can I complain to MS and get my money back because the native popup blocker failed to block this popup.:rolleyes:

browserchoice.jpg

"An important choice to make: your browser

Your browser is an important piece of software on your computer. It is what you use to surf the internet: it’s the window around the web sites you visit.
    There are many browsers available, each with a variety of features. On the next screen, you can select and install any additional browser(s) you want.
    Please Note: The Browser Choice update unpinned your browser, Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer, from your taskbar, but you can pin it back if you want. Click here to learn more.
    Internet Explorer is still available from the Start/All Programs menu.
    Before proceeding, please confirm that you are connected to the internet.
    OK "

http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx

Actually quite clever on their part in that like myself most will dismiss it on the basis of being PUP or spyware link, as it doesnt indicate where it is coming from.
    If you already wanted a different browser you would likely have already made that choice. If all you want to do is browse as probably 90% of unwitting MS users then you just wont care either way.

So I'd say it's little more than light window dressing with a small side of legal requirements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Isn't that the point, eu law requires it because of competition rules

I think its good the way they've done it but probably not going to make much difference to anybody except confusing people that don't know about browsers. Good the way the recommended browsers are not just the 4 popular ones

Will Apple have to something similar? Or other operating systems?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think you'll find that you agreed to that when you ticked the EULA box. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I didn't think it was a "Pop up" as such? Just noticed this update on my Win 7 PC, Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Users of Windows 7

Details are....

Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Users of Windows 7 (KB976002)
    Download size: 102 KB
    You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
    Update type: Important
    Install this update to access a Choice Screen which lets you select whether and which Web browser(s) to install in addition to Internet Explorer. After you have installed this software update it cannot be removed.
    More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

I removed it through the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I didn't bother downloading it. While it was listed as an important update it didn't auto-select like their actual important updates do. So I just chose to hide it.
    And Chrome ftw :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Saw it once, on one PC and haven't downloaded it since.

When I saw it I killed it in Task Manger as it looked like Malware. I have one PC at home set up as a music system and its the only PC I have (of 6) thats set to automatic updates. I'd put some music on and next time I walked past there was the msg on the screen, wtf? I didn't want it, didn't need it, and it could have been malware so that was the end of it.

Advertisement