Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAT PROBLEMS IN LAB

Options
  • 13-03-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

hi, my labrador pup is in heat for first time, but she is acting extra strange today and am very worried. she is dropping out hard pellets of poo without even squatting followed by drips of liquid and little bits of blood, she is crying a lot and shaking, seems to be in a lot of pain. i called the vet but they said they are very busy with large animals today which i was very angry about and they told me to call up for some liquid parrafin, which in my opinion wont make a difference. i wantto know if anyonehas heard of this before im afraid it could be a womb infection or something of that nature. should i try find another vet inthe area that isnt too busy to look at her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Find another vet, definitely.

Liquid parrafin will help with the constipation but if you're worried about pyometra then do get another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would think about changing vets too. A puppy can fade fast if there's something wrong - I like the peace of mind that our vet will fit him in if there's something wrong (this was the case with the cat too)! We go to Anicare in Glasnevin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

i agree i am pretty worried about her and am still waiting for a call back to see if she needs to come in the girl was going to ask a vet at lunch, the poo just droppingout of her is whats concerningme most i dont think its normal but im unsure because it is her first heat this could be normal for her? she just seems so sluggish and sore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In my experience a dog being in heat has no effect whatsoever on their stools.

So yes, I would be worried too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It could be lots of things, it could be something like worms or it could be more serious, so she really needs to see a vet. That's annoying that your vets were too "busy". I hope she'll be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

hi, my labrador pup is in heat for first time, but she is acting extra strange today and am very worried. she is dropping out hard pellets of poo without even squatting followed by drips of liquid and little bits of blood, she is crying a lot and shaking, seems to be in a lot of pain. i called the vet but they said they are very busy with large animals today which i was very angry about and they told me to call up for some liquid parrafin, which in my opinion wont make a difference. i wantto know if anyonehas heard of this before im afraid it could be a womb infection or something of that nature. should i try find another vet inthe area that isnt too busy to look at her.

I think you need to find another Vet and get her in there immediately, It may be nothing serious but why take the chance, better to see a vet sooner rather than later it could make a huge difference.

Advertisement