Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg any recommendations?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    We're off to Kirchenberg (4km from Kitzbuhel) next Saturday.

Has anyone been there recently ? If so I'm looking for recommendations for

1) Reasonably 'safe' off piste opportunities- preferably a bit tracked for guidance but still quiet enough

2) Any bars/restaurants which serve great food at reasonable prices ? What are the main apres ski joints?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a toboggan/tubing course at the resort ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Dont know about the off piste but the Londoner in Kitz is always busy and I think Hollywood is one of the night clubs but it was always early hours in the morning whenever I went out in Kitz I never knew where I was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi there unfortunately you're out a bit from the centre of Kitzbuhel
    but it's no problem, serviced regularly by bus and taxi's are readily available.

as mentioned earlier pubs, the londoner - think the queen vic in austria
    restaurants all over the place one reasonable one, on main street beside hotel strasshofer? pasta etc....mc donalds also near by londoner.

regarding the skiing,

check avalaunch risk category????

your quote "reasonably "safe" off piste skiing"? okay there are a few runs
    no33 and no34 officially these are not on piste - they are ski runs but not patrolled or worked on and very very quiet...(maybe i should keep my gob shut ;) )

1. from kirchberg, get the Fleckalmbahn cable cars up take the red 19 (on your left) to join up with Chair C1 from the top of C1 take a left you're
    on run33:D

2. alternatively, take a right from chair C1 to black #17 to take a right to
    join up with 90

3. go to top pengelstein to the right of blue 29a you'll see another "run" this is no 34 again unpatrolled

PLEASE PLEASE be careful towards the end of these runs!!!

i made a huge mistake & i'll never forget it!!

1. flat light, getting dark
    2. too much powder all day - tired & hungry
    3. friends all tired
    4. just wanted to get to pub

right ingredients for an accident....

i was leading, towards end of 33 i didn't realise you suddenly come across a road -with hindsight an "X" was covered in snow I took a small jump -
    (only a few feet but was reasonably high) = this turned out to be a ditch and i landed on a road on to the path of an oncoming car with headlights on:eek::eek:!!! needless to say the driver stopped & gave me a an unmerciful B********* but i was very lucky:o!!!

to get back home from this place (from roadway) turn left you'll walk/ski past a few houses - see main road - cross road - a couple of metres you'll see a bus stop - (near a hotel) on off peak times these run very irregular

where else, black 75A a very fast black use the "3S" cable car to get across

hope this is of some help, some nice runs on the way back into kirchberg

one pub on the home run for you--sonnen??? can't remember the name but you'll hear it long before you'll see it. enjoy

note ski conditions was powder all the way down to valley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks a million for that Deman, thats the kind of insider info I was after:D

What kind of grading would you say 33 and 34 are? Black all the way? Or just at the start and then more like a red? Just been looking at the map and 90 branching off 17 definately looks black alright but 33 and 34 look like less of a slant than a black on the mountain contours- is this correct?

I don't mind riding blacks if I have to but at the same time I never particulary enjoy them...

You've gotta love finding some quiet powder, absolutely glorious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

RATM wrote: »

What kind of grading would you say 33 and 34 are? Black all the way? Or just at the start and then more like a red?

You've gotta love finding some quiet powder, absolutely glorious :D

this is probably too late for reply...

really they're red with a few steep bits a long the way, several ways down
    just be careful if you happen to leave the run where i did, the lads found another exit after they heard my shout:o

if you're talking about off piste these should be no problem....enjoy you'll have a great time

p.s. 34 was the harder of the two, if the snow is good the trees make it really interesting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

De_man wrote: »
    this is probably too late for reply...

really they're red with a few steep bits a long the way, several ways down
    just be careful if you happen to leave the run where i did, the lads found another exit after they heard my shout:o

if you're talking about off piste these should be no problem....enjoy you'll have a great time

p.s. 34 was the harder of the two, if the snow is good the trees make it really interesting:)

No you're not too late- just in time in fact- about to leave for the airport in 2 hours :D

I'll bear that advice in mind Deman- I want to bring an intermediate friend for his first sniff of powder so as they are mainly red then its a goer=)

Thanks again ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement