Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre skiing Strengh training

Options
  • 12-03-2010 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

During my last week of skiing I felt like my quads let me down some despite doing a few weeks of squats ahead of time. I'm just wondering - what strength preparation work do the rest of ye do and for how long ? Looking for specific exercises. I'm mostly interested in strength training but sure feel free to lash in the aerobic stuff too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Maybe its your technique rather than your fitness? Take an hours lesson to iron out any bad habits early on in the week.

I had heard that leaning too far forward will cause legs to ache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

flikflak wrote: »
    Maybe its your technique rather than your fitness? Take an hours lesson to iron out any bad habits early on in the week.

I had heard that leaning too far forward will cause legs to ache

Yes well always better technique can help, but I'm specifically interested in strength work as I know it would help me technique wise so just wondering what specific exercises people use.

I don't lean forward. (I do have some technique faults that I'm aware of but leaning forward isn't one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

To be honest skiing fitness is very specific to skiing. I did A LOT of running last summer/autumn (three half marathons and a full marathon) and my quads still burned during the first few powder days this winter.

Nonetheless, I'd suggest running as great preparation to build up your legs and for stamina though.

Similarly try not to sit back too far in your skis.

To be honest skiing fitness is very specific to skiing. I did A LOT of running last summer/autumn (three half marathons and a full marathon) and my quads still burned during the first few powder days this winter.

Nonetheless, I'd suggest running as great preparation to build up your legs and for stamina though.

Similarly try not to sit back too far in your skis.

Yeah I did alot last year but hurt my ankle and then got sick and then the mini-ice age happened and i just havent gotten back to it. But i will soon!

I tend only to sit back when my legs are too shot to hold the turns - hence my thread in the first place!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I hear ya :D Well in that case I'd suggest doing a few months of squats rather than just a few weeks of them beforehand. Really, the fitter you can be going on a ski-trip the more you'll get out of it. Go hard or go home! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I do lots of cycling, which I think translates well to skiing. Hit the hills hard and belt up them as hard as possible, getting out of the saddle.

In the gym, do squats, lunges, deadlifts, stiffleg deadlifts, hamstring curl, knee extensions, side lunges or slides. Do as much single leg work as you can, since most of the time you have more pressure on one leg or the other.

Slides ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I am suffering from post ski depression :o
    Need to start getting my ass off couch, back on the bike and gym .........................................................tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Slides ???

Google Slide exercise. Basically, lots of side to side movements, sometimes along a slippy material or on a board, can be against resistance tubing etc.

Advertisement