Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor loader questions.

Options
  • 12-03-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi there, I am thinking of buying a tractor and loader but have no experience of these. I was looking at a MF 390. Is this a good machine, does anyone know? How big a job is it to attach and detach a loader. Does one have to build a stand or something to sit it on when it is detached, thereby allowing you to drive up to it for attachment. My main use would be loading gravel for a laneway and cleaning up fallen bushes etc.
    Furthermore, I was thinking of buying the tractor in the north? Has anyone experience of this and was it good value?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

id say if you want to be taking off the loader very often,you would prob want to be looking at fairly modern loader.....
    Theres definately savings to be made though...what your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

bradaun wrote: »
    Hi there, I am thinking of buying a tractor and loader but have no experience of these. I was looking at a MF 390. Is this a good machine, does anyone know? How big a job is it to attach and detach a loader. Does one have to build a stand or something to sit it on when it is detached, thereby allowing you to drive up to it for attachment. My main use would be loading gravel for a laneway and cleaning up fallen bushes etc.
    Furthermore, I was thinking of buying the tractor in the north? Has anyone experience of this and was it good value?

390s are very good machines, however, in my opinion, they are very overpriced for what you get. how a 17 year old 80HP machine sells for 15k is beyond me.
    as pajero12 mentioned, newer loaders are easier to attach and detach, also most modern loaders have stands so you shouldn't need to build anything. older loaders from the 80s and early 90s can be a pain to attach and detach!

whats the budget?

what is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bradaun

Thanks for that. I don't intend to spend more thant 10 or 12 k. So, would it be best to buy a tractor without loader and buy a new loader to suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

If you can afford it then yes, it's nearly always better to buy a loaderless machine and convert it yourself. the reason being that loaders place a lot of extra strain on a tractor's front end, and you dont really know how much work said loader will have done, or how well it will have been maintained.

Loader tractors will also have a harder time on the transmission too, constantly changing direction.

If you have the budget definitely buy and add on the loader, the only thing is, new loaders arent cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bradaun wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't intend to spend more thant 10 or 12 k. So, would it be best to buy a tractor without loader and buy a new loader to suit?

you will never make it with that budget id say, new loader must be 5 or 6 grand easy, which would only leave you 6 grand for tractor, waste of time but a good loader on a 6 grand pile..just look for a clean 2nd hand 4wd tractor with loader already on, add another 2 or 3 grand to your budget and you should get a good enough machine, better spend a small bit more now than getting scrap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1195634
    probably a bit pricey for it though

Advertisement