Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me!

Options
  • 12-03-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently got new next door neighbours (renting).. but after about 4 days now, their apt stinks to high heaven, when I open the outer doors to the 3 apts.. I literally gag.. it takes my stomach 10 mins to quieten down after it.. It is like rotting fish guts mixed with grease and everything else dats nasty!!!

It is coming into my apt.. I cannot keep feeling sick like this.. is there anything I can do????????? :confused::confused::confused:

I cannot knock at their door for fear if I have to inhale the stench for longer than a couple of secs, Ill puke up in front of them...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ideally you would go to their door but if you cant why not try to nab them on the way in ? or perhaps you could post them a note.

of course the othe roption is to contact the apatments landlord if you have the details to explain the situaiton.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Contact the management company and have them lodge a formal complaint with the landlord/lady and notify them of the problem (and do what the poster above said - try nab them somewhere / post a note in their letter box on the door).
    But by the sounds it if, you'll need to go down the official route. I'm sure there some house rule that they are breaking by stinking up the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have recently got new next door neighbours (renting).. but after about 4 days now, their apt stinks to high heaven, when I open the outer doors to the 3 apts.. I literally gag.. it takes my stomach 10 mins to quieten down after it.. It is like rotting fish guts mixed with grease and everything else dats nasty!!!
    Know anyone who dabbles in drugs? Get them to come by, and see if the smell is familiar. A week/month, sure, maybe trash, but after 4 days, it sounds suspicious. The "rotting fish" smell may well be fish, but I can't see how the smell would get outside so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Leave it to the management company you dont know what type of people they are or what they could be up to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I have a colleague who smells like rotting fish. His car has a disctinctive putrid stink that sounds like decaying rotting fish thats been there for quite some time. I'd dread to see what his flat looks like. We just stay 6 foot away from him at all times and he sits in a corner cube on his own.

Its quite likely that nothing illegal is going on but they are just filthy pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

thanks guys for replying..

yesterday coming home from work, as usual I gagged trying to get my door open.. they obviously heard the noises I was making and came out to see what was happening.. so I went and got air freshener and by the time I came back out they had shut their door, so I sprayed nearly the whole can in the area..

If that's not a subtle hint I dont know what it is...

It now stinks of magnolia and manky mank...

Everyone has cooking smells, there are indians upstairs and even when they cook, its a nice aroma.. this is putrid.. it is not normal.... think of it as rotten meat in a butchers combined with dublin's tip.. I dont normally gag.. and its not only me - my partner does too...

I am going to buy 5 tins of air freshener and keep spraying so hopefully they will get the hint and open their windows or do something to get rid of the smell..

If not, I will report it to the landlord and his letting agency.. I am presuming there are laws just the same as noise pollution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why wait to see if it improves? I'd be on to the landlord now. If they get the hint in the meantime great but waiting only extends the current problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thanks guys for replying..

yesterday coming home from work, as usual I gagged trying to get my door open.. they obviously heard the noises I was making and came out to see what was happening.. so I went and got air freshener and by the time I came back out they had shut their door, so I sprayed nearly the whole can in the area..

If that's not a subtle hint I dont know what it is...

It now stinks of magnolia and manky mank...

Everyone has cooking smells, there are indians upstairs and even when they cook, its a nice aroma.. this is putrid.. it is not normal.... think of it as rotten meat in a butchers combined with dublin's tip.. I dont normally gag.. and its not only me - my partner does too...

I am going to buy 5 tins of air freshener and keep spraying so hopefully they will get the hint and open their windows or do something to get rid of the smell..

If not, I will report it to the landlord and his letting agency.. I am presuming there are laws just the same as noise pollution...

Please don't waste your money; clearly this needs sorting. Try HSE also... Call the landlord. Maybe they are so used to their stench they simply are unaware.

They may well complain to the landlord about your spraying!!!

There used to be a TV advert; someeone whispering in a persons' ear "B.O"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Try the department of the environment or the EPA. It might be a waste disposal offence, although as it is a private dwelling, they might not want to get involved.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0010/sec0032.html#zza10y1996s32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ColaBeDamned

Rayanne2010 and shoegirl, there's a small possibility that this could be the reason-
    http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/29/4/517.full

• Advertisement
Advertisement