Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty question

Options
  • 12-03-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and my boyfriend are trying to get a mortgage but we've been refused a joint mortgage as i already own a house (which is rented out) but is probably in negative equity so they wont give it to the two of us.

My boyfriend has been approved a mortgage of 260k on his own so the plan was for us to get a second hand house for around 280k. Because he is a first time buyer he wont have to pay stamp duty on this house is this correct? Also, i will probably sell my own house in the next year or so just to get rid of it and then i want to go on the deeds of the house so we own it together. If i do that will we then be liable for stamp duty due to the fact that i am not a first time buyer??
    Thanks
    Lou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

correct he wont owe stamp duty as an FTB.

If you go onto the deeds of the new house Im not sure if you would then be libel for stamp duty though. Easiest thing for you to do is ring the revenue and ask them.

Advertisement