Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying outside your parish

Options
  • 12-03-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

My sister wants to marry outside her parish. the Church she wants to get married in have said it's no problem but she needs to bring her own priest. The priests in her own parish wont travel to the other church as they cant see why she doesnt want to marry in her own church. I can totally understand this but she has her heart set on the other church.
    I've been through this myself and a friend of mine was friends with a priest and he agreed to marry us outside my parish but he is no longer in the country so asking him is not an option.

So my question is does anyone know of a priest who would be willing to do it or know any way around it ?

I'll expect the barrage of abuse that might come about it being the ceremony thats important and not surroundings and she understands all that. At the end of the day she will use our parish church if she cant get a priest but she really would love to marry in the other church.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Karen23 wrote: »
    My sister wants to marry outside her parish. the Church she wants to get married in have said it's no problem but she needs to bring her own priest. The priests in her own parish wont travel to the other church as they cant see why she doesnt want to marry in her own church. I can totally understand this but she has her heart set on the other church.
    I've been through this myself and a friend of mine was friends with a priest and he agreed to marry us outside my parish but he is no longer in the country so asking him is not an option.

So my question is does anyone know of a priest who would be willing to do it or know any way around it ?

I'll expect the barrage of abuse that might come about it being the ceremony thats important and not surroundings and she understands all that. At the end of the day she will use our parish church if she cant get a priest but she really would love to marry in the other church.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

Karen, you should get your friend to appeal to the local bishop with her predicament, the Bishop is the one who presides over the priest, and the priest in obedience to the Bishop must do as he says. I find that her having to bring her own priest request an appalling one. If I was a priest I'd be only too happy to marry anyone any where as its my job.

It could be that the priest is coming up with excuses as to why he cant do it, because he doesnt wanna spend the money to have to travel. He is probably thinking that she should care more about the ceremony and spiritual side of it rather than have it in a church of her choosing. but if we turn the tables I feel that the priest is the one who cares more about where its placed rather than the encouragment of getting married. I know priests who travelled to rome just to marry them but of course they paid for his fair etc etc....

so, if I may reiterate myself speak to the local bishop with her predicament and I'm almost sure she'll get married where she wants to get married. condsidering the big drop in people getting married these days, the priests should not be at this carry on and playing games.

In the meantime I shall take a look at the code of canon law to see what I can find for you.

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Thanks Stephen,

Any ideas or tips about what to write in a letter to the bishop.

Thanks Stephen,

Any ideas or tips about what to write in a letter to the bishop.

have you not got his number? you could give him a phone and arrange an interview with him, letters could take forever actually.

All she has to do is tell him what she told me and request to know whether or not it is proper church procedure? Shes got nothing to be nervous about when speaking to the local Bishop, she'll be fine.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

You've been a great help Stephen,

Thanks a Million

You've been a great help Stephen,

Thanks a Million

No problem, let me know how you got on, I'll keep your friend in my prayers.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
Advertisement