Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading home network

Options
  • 12-03-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I apologise in advance if this is a silly question :)

I have a room upstairs setup as an office. I have a macpro and a readynas pro pioneer networked through an airport extreme and a 5 point netgear switch. A wd ive tv is connected to a tv.

I have a cable running from the router downstairs to another netgear switch. This switch is connected to an xbox and apple tv. I use a cable from the switch with my macbook when running superduper and when transferring photos to the nas or macpro.

I have a mixture of old and new cables connecting everything and was wondering if it would be worth it replacing all of the cables with these cat6 cables?

The readynas is capable of gigabit speeds and the airport extreme is also capable of gigabit speed. I have a (crappy) eircom 3mb connection but hope that upc will be available in Bray next year.

If the cables from Komplett aren't good quality, could someone recommend a make of cable? Again, apologies for the beginner questions.

Thanks,

Shay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

No point replacing cables with Cat6 if the cables in between are Cate5e. Ive Cat6 terminated networks out there and although we use the cat 6 from the servers and Nas' to the gig switches we only use Cat5e on the PC's as they are mostly only 10/100... If your back bone is home terminated cat5e I dont think you;'ll see a difference. The other reason is I dont think your router will handle gig anyways.

Finally as its komplett and there Cat6 cables they will ride you on the price... Why would you need 15m anyways???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cat 6 is over kill unless everything else is cat 6

you don't even need cat 5e

Gigabit will run on cat 5 , cat 5e means you can have more patch panels en-route which is not an issue with home networks

if the computers wern't transferring data to each other then an internet speed of 3Mb means you could get away with an old 10Mb hub ;)

Advertisement