Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did Nell say about Mary Listen here !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

because she was drunk?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

This clip has been removed at the request of the copyright holder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a rumour I heard a few months back from someone I know in the medical community but to be honest wasnt interested in knowing about it or how well ounded it was. It doesnt appear to just be the rantings of one person though.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Here's the main part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lcAaCtbEs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    This clip has been removed at the request of the copyright holder

And requests are being made to have it deleted from twitter as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I am confused here. The op has a link that hasnt been removed, so can the contents be discussed or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't see the politics mods saying it can't be, but the clip askes why the rumours are not mentioned, maybe cos they are rumours.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't see the politics mods saying it can't be, but the clip askes why the rumours are not mentioned, maybe cos they are rumours.
    Thanks, I am sure many of us are reluctant to comment on this issue for fear saying the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Some interesting comments on the youtube link about wetting herself in the pub and a €50 tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well as Newstalk have apologised not once but twice completely refuting everything McCafferty said I reckon people here should be very careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Nell mccafferty, why is her opinion ever sought on anything? I cringe every time she's wheeled out to "comment" on something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

That's crap of McCafferty. It's just really bad form. I've no time for Mary Harney's politics - she's little more than an Irish version of Margaret Thatcher. I've never shared her vision of this society.

Despite this I think she is honest, or at least as honest as any "successful" (first elected in 1981 and has retained her seat at each election since) politician can be. The Minister for Health in this state will continue to hold a poisoned chalice for as long as the current system continues - this is a systemic problem first and foremost. When taxes are raised to create an equitable health system à la France or Canada, and when the proper financial accounting mechanisms are in place to trace every euro, we will be on to something.

1) Harney, with her vision, is possibly the last person in Irish society who could create a more equitable health system.

2) There's a great deal of hypocrisy in many complaints about the health system: are we all willing to pay more taxes to get a French-style system?

As for McCafferty, I used to think she was great craic and a radical voice. In the past few years I'm seeing her more and more as a bully in interviews: bitter rather than passionate; offensive rather than effective; hurtful rather than compassionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dave Conway

I agree with this post from Rebelheart and I have long wondered why Mary Harney has kept this portfolio for so long; the old excuse of 'sure, who would want to take it on?' has long worn thin. Nevertheless she is entitled to be free of slander just like any other citizen. In the clip I heard, it did seem that Nell actually thought that she was off-air, whilst Tom obviously knew it was on-air, but that's another story.

I do wonder, and have for some time, wondered at the impression of honesty that Mary seems to have given over the years. I, like others, respect her achievements, such as ridding the Capital City of the health-impairing smog back in the 80's. I think she has managed to hang on to the 'honest' tag for a long time without due merit. How 'honest' can a person be when they champion, and oversee, a health system that delivers two levels of service. One is an instant quality 'hotel' like system, with immediate access to the highest level of care and equipment, whilst the other is one in which an 83yr old woman, suffering from severe stomach and intestinal pain, is forced to sit upright all night in A&E, before finally being upgraded to a trolley after a frightening 16 hours. When I visit my Aunt that morning, the place is chaos, staff are performing heroically and finally have to announce that all relatives have to leave because the situation has become intolerably over-crowded.

Just another day in A&E. Mary Harney knows that this is the way it is, yet continues to support a system that is inherently inequitable. Can this be described as honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

She is very well paid and protected pension wise bottom line is she was told about it and didnt bother to follow it up or make enquiries so in my opinion she is as liable as anyone directly involved and should be fired . After all outside of the HSE there is still 600 odd in the dept of health what do they do surely it should have been routine for a minister to do what James OReilly said he would have done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Pot wrote:
    Some interesting comments on the youtube link about wetting herself in the pub and a €50 tip

neill show how low she can go, that was awful to say about m harney,
    she may not be a good minister, but speaking like that about her is all wrong, hurtful, hateful, spiteful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Newstalk is running away from this one quicker than the British garrison in Castlebar on 27 August 1798:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Newstalk is running away from this one quicker than the British garrison in Castlebar on 27 August 1798:

I think the person who wrote that report must have been on the bottle too. Woeful piece of writing.

Dunne is a useless fecker anyway. He should have cut the stupid bint off as soon as she started her rant. McAndrew is a parasite, and shouldn't be given any air time on any radio station.

I'm no FF'er, but those comments were way over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

nummnutts wrote: »
    McAndrew is a parasite, and shouldn't be given any air time on any radio station.

Who's McAndrew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 streaky

I think the person who wrote that report must have been on the bottle too. Woeful piece of writing.

Quite obviously it's the sub who was pissed - the writing's fine, the subbing is abysmal.

McAndrew is a parasite, and shouldn't be given any air time on any radio station.

Nell McAndrew:

20080623113415756.jpg

Nell McCafferty

1224253821320_1.jpg

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The only story here is that Nell McCafferty hasn't said anything worthwhile for years

I also cringe when I see or hear her

Her opinions should not be sought after, they are ignorant and ill-researched at the best of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

goat2 wrote: »
    neill show how low she can go, that was awful to say about m harney,
    she may not be a good minister, but speaking like that about her is all wrong, hurtful, hateful, spiteful

Like it or not, the allegations Nell made on air have been circulating for years and getting worse of late.

The bigger picture is Nell is asking is Mary Harney well enough for the job, and the answer appears to be a resounding no after a recent, very public incident.

I assume that is all I can say until the empty threat of a lawsuit is dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

How could she not know she was on air?

There's a friggin great red "ON AIR" sign in a studio like that!! It's all lit up when you're "ON AIR"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

dan_d wrote: »
    How could she not know she was on air? There's a friggin great red "ON AIR" sign in a studio like that!! It's all lit up when you're "ON AIR"!!

yeah dan, I find it hard to believe that she didnt know she was on air. The private radio stations, in particular, are always looking for soundbytes for their news so that they can say "Nell McCafferty , speaking with Tom Dunne on our morning show". So she is no doubt fully aware of what she is saying the whole time she is at the studio. To say that she was unaware that she was on air is just disingenuous and dishonest.

I think there would be reams of anecdotal evidence of her "alcoholism" (similar to the anecdotal evidence of Sweary Mary's outbursts) if she were in fact an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

after a recent, very public incident.

is there a link to this please? I didnt hear about it

Good pics Papa Smut uUnfortunately I only ever saw a pic / painting of our Nell Naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Newstalk have withdrawn the comments and are in full damage limitation mode.

It's a tough one because on the one hand you have to respect someone's privacy regardless of their position, but you also have to consider their ability to perform a job of national importance and what outside factors that could be affecting that ability. That said, these are unsubtantiated rumours.

It's a tough one because on the one hand you have to respect someone's privacy regardless of their position, but you also have to consider their ability to perform a job of national importance and what outside factors that could be affecting that ability. That said, these are unsubtantiated rumours.

Rumours that would/could be substantiated were a case to be taken from what I have heard recently post Nell's outburst the apology will surfice so read into that what you will , the talk of solicitors etc is just to try and put the frighteners on other media outlets to drop the story just look what Ms Leech got .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Guys, this rumour has been knocking around the block for years now and the general consensus is that it is rubbish.

Apparently Haughey began circulating this rumour way back in 1985 when she defected to the PD's. That's a rumour in itself though.;)

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    The only story here is that Nell McCafferty hasn't said anything worthwhile for years

I also cringe when I see or hear her

Her opinions should not be sought after, they are ignorant and ill-researched at the best of times

Perhaps she should consider politics in that case ?

Advertisement