Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Older Model, Passenger Seating and Seat Belt Issues

Options
  • 12-03-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m researching to buy an older model motorhome (eg early 1990s). I have noticed that older models (that I have looked at) tend to have passenger seating around the table at the very back of the vehicle without any seat belts. I am concerned about this for 2 reasons:
    • Seatbelts are nowadays required for all passengers.
    • In the event of being rear ended in a traffic accident, there is a high risk of passenger injury (outside my control) when seats are positioned in the back.
    To proceed with buying the motorhome, I am looking for advice on how to address these concerns. Is it common for motorhome owners to install seatbelts themselves in their vehicles? Considering the height of a motorhome and the fact that there is bike rack on the back, are my back seated passengers at a similar risk to rear end collision injury as they would be if I was driving them in the back of a standard car?

Any pointers from experienced motorhomers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For seatbelts to have any real effect, you'd have to fit something like this:
    8450460212625856.jpg
    That would be difficult to integrate into a U-lounge.
    Fitting it sideways also doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My van has lap belts, good enough for airplanes good enough for me! But then I'm the driver with my 3 point belt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The law is cockeyed , one of our customers is a Garda in the training college , and according to his research , if there are no belts present , you're not breaking the law .

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

This is true. I took my vw hightop for an NCT many years ago and they would not pass it as the rear seats had lap straps.Outside the guy who did the test quietly told me to remove them and bring it back. I did and it passed,and I've done it ever since..........................b :confused:

Advertisement