Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compound bow use in a estate???

Options
  • 12-03-2010 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i live in a estate with a large green area with a field beside it is it legal to use compound bows for target practice i would be shooting towards the field so there would be nobody at risk i know the neighbours wouldnt mind not to sure about the guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭span

It may be legal but it would be ridiculously stupid.

There's no way you could be safe in a public green. You need to have a completely cordoned off area where you are sure no one is going to walk near you. Also it's no good just shooting towards a field. You need to know what's in the field, behind the field, behind the field you are shooting towards. Especially with a compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fumin

span wrote: »
    It may be legal but it would be ridiculously stupid.

There's no way you could be safe in a public green. You need to have a completely cordoned off area where you are sure no one is going to walk near you. Also it's no good just shooting towards a field. You need to know what's in the field, behind the field, behind the field you are shooting towards. Especially with a compound.

the green is well over grown there is never anybody around and the field is clearly visible i also have 4m wide 2m high net just wondering it would be handy i could get plenty of practice in for 2012 olympics lol

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

You need to have public liability insurance if you are shooting in a public location.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I suggest you find a club to shoot with - public liability is the main issue - if an arrow hit someone, you're basically ****ed for life.

You're also liable if you lose an arrow in the field and someone later is injured by it by stepping / falling on it etc.

Training on our own (speaking from experience) gets old. Better off shooting with other people you can trade hints and experience with, so join or start a club that has public liability insurance.

Ewan

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Agree with all.

Shooting in public only attracts the wrong attention. I used to practice in my Grannies back garden which just about had 30m, and even then I was a bit iffy.

You don't need regulation distance to practice, shooting at 4m indoors works on form and release just as well as 18m. Granted, not as much fun but will do until club nights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I take it that ye have heard that Galway Co Co. has (or is currently) introduced new by-laws which make it an offence to practice archery on the sand Dunne's!
    A spokes man for the Co Co said that these steps were designed to protect their "Duty of care" i.e. Their off the hook when it goes tits up!!..

I think that some arrow shooters might be interested looking at some insurance. I'd say that €45 would cover you!!

FBD insure field sports AFAIK and for €70 you can get you dogs covered!!

No harm to check it out!!

Although I would advise that whether or not you shoot on some public ground that your asking for trouble if your visible! So keep away from curtain twitches!!

I,ve often wondered why places like Maraly Park have failed to provide some facilities for archers.. I'm no expert but surely its not too hard to construct a 18m-45m range that would be completely safe-- Lets face facts here- there are thousands of golf balls flying around the 9hole course with very little protection to the walkers in the park..

Just a few thoughts!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

if the same rules apply, as an RIF, it is illegal to use them where a member of the public have access or can see

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I have to agree with what others have said here. It really is not worth the risks to shoot in a public place in an estate or urban area or even anywhere where there'd be lots of people about. You can't control what others do and it's just too chancy IMHO.

If you're a farmer or have a big garden in the country which you can secure so that some random visitor doesn't stumble into the middle of your practice, and you're willing to fork out for insurance as suggested above, then that is an option. But you have to take every precaution.

Otherwise if you must train at home, do it indoors in controlled conditions and concentrate on form at about 4m. Make sure it's safe, as if you were training at the club. And use a mattress or something similar to absorb the impact of the arrow if it goes through your target - holes in walls and doors don't tend to endear you to the owner. Garage is ideal, of course provided it's empty.

But I find that training by yourself isn't really a substitute for meeting up with fellow archers. In fact if you get a bad run of form you may well give up shooting for a while, like I did. I have, thankfully, seen sense and will hopefully return to Archery this summer.

Joining and shooting with a club is by far the best option.

Advertisement