Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

I ordered parts for my car from an american website which I was hoping to have by the weekend. They left California tuesday night and arrived in Dublin early this morning (thursday). At this point the UPS tracker now reads "THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL". Does this mean that the package has been seized by customs?

What should I do next, wait to be contacted? How long would this normally take? I don't mind paying VAT/duty or whatever it is, but what really pisses me off is paying extra to get something shipped fast only to have it delayed for god knows how long!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It could be held up for more than a week as I have learned and the more you try to put pressure on them the worse they will get, these guys have more power than the cops when it comes to personal property. :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I ordered parts for my car from an american website which I was hoping to have by the weekend. They left California tuesday night and arrived in Dublin early this morning (thursday). At this point the UPS tracker now reads "THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL". Does this mean that the package has been seized by customs?

What should I do next, wait to be contacted? How long would this normally take? I don't mind paying VAT/duty or whatever it is, but what really pisses me off is paying extra to get something shipped fast only to have it delayed for god knows how long by those fυckers!

Usually if you get something in by UPS/Fedex/DHL the couriers happily tot up the customs fees based on the paperwork (ensuring to err on the side of charging you too much), slap on a large fee for themselves and hand it over to you without much delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

to have it delayed for god knows how long by those fυckers!

Just maybe they need to double check what you are importing, maybe the paperwork did not have the correct description, maybe there is something suspicious about the parcel.

I'd much prefer to know that parcels are checked properly then to find drugs, guns etc can be shipped easily into the country.

It may delay it by a day or so and it may also be helpful if you contacted UPS to ask if you could provide any information that would speed the process up.

But if you a type that uses such language as you have used above just because someone is doing their job, I doubt if you would would approach the call in the right way and then this would lead to a much longer delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

91011 wrote: »
    Just maybe they need to double check what you are importing, maybe the paperwork did not have the correct description, maybe there is something suspicious about the parcel.

I'd much prefer to know that parcels are checked properly then to find drugs, guns etc can be shipped easily into the country.

It may delay it by a day or so and it may also be helpful if you contacted UPS to ask if you could provide any information that would speed the process up.

But if you a type that uses such language as you have used above just because someone is doing their job, I doubt if you would would approach the call in the right way and then this would lead to a much longer delay.
    As I already stated, I don't mind paying whatever's owed, I realise the law is the law and customs are there for a purpose. I just wish that they could do whatever they need to do in a timely manner. Having something delayed by days, or even weeks as I've seen some people report, is totally unacceptable IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

to be fair though, you're not the only person getting stuff shipped in that customs need to check, far from it. so expecting that just because you opted for UPS to ship it here quick, you'd get full priority from the customs officials is completely unreasonable. They are only doing their job, and maybe they do need to check your parcel out, but it's not going to be the first thing they do in the morning. I completely agree that your language is unacceptable in this situation. Put yourself in their shoes for 5 minutes, if you're doing your job and next thing you here someone bad mouthing you and your colleagues because you haven't prioritised an ordinary "customer", how would you feel?

I'm sure there are a few customs guys on here who don't need to be reading that just because they're doing their job protecting the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Having something delayed by days, or even weeks as I've seen some people report, is totally unacceptable IMHO.

You parcel hasn't been delayed by days, or weeks yet though, has it? Yet you describe these people, who are doing their job, using profanities, and assume the worst of the situation. I would suggest you edit the profanities out of your first post, then wait until you actually have an issue before saying anything more about the situation. You don't even know for sure that it's customs that has the package, so this is nothing but an ill-informed and misdirected rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

jor el wrote: »
    You parcel hasn't been delayed by days, or weeks yet though, has it?
    No, but it has already been delayed in Dublin for the same amount of time it took to travel halfway around the world. After searching I've seen several people reporting that they had packages delayed for days or weeks.

I never asked for priority. I don't think in this day and age that it's too much to ask for a system that doesn't significantly delay the delivery of packages. However, as it may not be the fault of the staff on the ground and I don't know for sure that it's actually customs' fault, I retract my name-calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ncj

Hi can anyone tell me what this means is my package held in customs or is it passed it bit confused about it says in transit but don't think it is like this since Friday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Mod: Please do not bump therads that are 10 years old.

Do NOT open multiple threads with same questions, please read the chapter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement