Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First On-Board Video!

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I finally managed to get some decent footage on track and I thought I'd share with the "boardsies" that don't frequent the other Irish biking forums.

This footage was taken last Sunday (7th March) in Kirkistown (great little track in Northern Ireland) with a GoPro HD (720p @ 30 fps).

I'm riding my K2 GSX-R 1000 race bike which has a few trick bits (Full Akrapovic Race Exhaust, Power Commander, Quick Shifter, K&N Air Filter, Slipper Clutch, Penske Rear Shock, K-Tech 20mm Fork Internals, Brembo Master Cylinder, Quick-Action Throttle, Race Rearsets, etc).

I wasn't particularly fast that day for the following reasons (read "excuses" :D):

- It was cold (around 5°C when this video was shot)
    - Hadn't been on track for 9 months
    - My tyres were from last year and already had a few races in them (Bridgestone BT003's)
    - Discs and pads were new (needed to bed them in)
    - Oil/Limestone powder at Turn 1 (called "Debtor's" and idn't fancy crashing there seen as it's the fastest corner in Ireland!)
    - New, fully serviced suspension (have to get used to it)

So there! I couldn't possibly go fast! :p

So here's the video! Enjoy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KzWsk_Dz4 < Don't forget to watch it in 720p HD!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lovely!
    that is a fast track!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

nereid wrote: »
    lovely!
    that is a fast track!
    Faster than Mondello for sure! Slower than Bishopscourt though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Nice video. Can I ask what software you use to edit it, reduce the size etc.?

randomway wrote: »
    Nice video. Can I ask what software you use to edit it, reduce the size etc.?
    I don't actually have any software to edit these GoPro HD files. They're saved in MP4 format (or "MPEG4", same thing) and very few editing softwares recognise this as a proper file type. So I had to install MAC software ("QuickTime Alternative 310" followed by "MPEG Streamclip")...

MPEG Streamclip let's me trim the video and that's about it... I didn't reduce the size of the orignal video or anything. Just trimmed it so it would be less than 10 minutes long (required by YouTube).

Hope this helps! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Excellent stuff: love the quality.

As an aside, on your outlap, when you get to the back of the track for the first time, and open it up, you can hear the engine note change dramatically....spine tingling stuff........makes me wonder I bother with cars anymore at all, really........when you consider the sheer price/performance value you get with a bike, compared to a car......

....oh, and they don't take up half as much space...!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...the sheer price/performance value you get with a bike, compared to a car......oh, and they don't take up half as much space...

and that's why you can get ten!!

I think I'll always be more of a car guy.

Nice vid, btw. I'd love to look into tracking a bike. I'm not usre if a big galoot like me could do the business with the likes of a gixxer thoug.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Excellent stuff: love the quality.

As an aside, on your outlap, when you get to the back of the track for the first time, and open it up, you can hear the engine note change dramatically....spine tingling stuff........makes me wonder I bother with cars anymore at all, really........when you consider the sheer price/performance value you get with a bike, compared to a car......

....oh, and they don't take up half as much space...!
    Thanks galwaytt! I used to be mad into car but then I discovered motorcycles and never looked back... My race bike is a perfect example of fantastic price/performance value: K2 GSX-R 1000 cost me €3,200 EUR a couple of years ago. Had he on the dyno on Saturday and she's pushing 157 bhp at the wheel at 11,000 RPM and 85 ft-lb torque at 8,000 RPM. I don't know how much I'd have to spend on a car to get that sort of performance but it would have to be a lot more than €3,200 EUR!

cantdecide wrote: »
    and that's why you can get ten!!

I think I'll always be more of a car guy.

Nice vid, btw. I'd love to look into tracking a bike. I'm not usre if a big galoot like me could do the business with the likes of a gixxer thoug.
    Get yourself a cheap track bike cantdecide! Start small-ish (R6, CBR 600 or GSXR 600) and when you get the hang of it then get a litre bike (if you fell the need)! But careful now, I used to think I'd never be into bikes as I was a die-hard car fan myself! ;)

Here's another video for you guys! Facing forward this time (but still on the seat):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO0gcEonwcc

Enjoy (my ar$e - lol! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jaysus you could have given the oul leathers a clean :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

god love the poor gear box lol C to the left and H to the right lol

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Evening all,

So here's the video! Enjoy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KzWsk_Dz4 < Don't forget to watch it in 720p HD!

great video . . but jesus H christ, you lost 5 stone over the winter?

kudos for that my man

great video . . but jesus H christ, you lost 5 stone over the winter?

kudos for that my man
    5.5 stone to be precise! :D

I was 20 stone in fairness... In fact, if I'm to believe those BMI charts, I'm still obese now! :rolleyes:

god love the poor gear box lol C to the left and H to the right lol
    Why do you say that? :confused:

I'm very gentle with my old bike! ;)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Jaysus you could have given the oul leathers a clean :D
    They're clean Kami! What you see there is road rash damage from all the crashes! (Sad but true!)

They're clean Kami! What you see there is road rash damage from all the crashes! (Sad but true!)

FFS, that GSXR is clearly too powerful for you.

Tell you what, you give me the GXSR and you can have my CB400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Aren't you the helpfull one - always looking out for people. :rolleyes:

P.C. wrote: »
    Aren't you the helpfull one - always looking out for people. :rolleyes:

Thanks man, I try.

That's Kami for you! Always wearing his heart on his sleeve... What a guy! :p

I think I'll do you a favour and hang on to the Gixer. Wouldn't want you to get injured or anything!

Steffano discovers embedding YouTube videos on boards.ie... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry to drag up a very old thread but I totally want to get one of these Gopro cameras. Stffano have you taken many more videos?

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up a very old thread but I totally want to get one of these Gopro cameras. Stffano have you taken many more videos?
    Not recently Zascar no... Haven't been on track this year yet and I never want to record myself on public roads (don't want the Guards to have all the evidence they need!). :)

Advertisement