Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Times

Options
  • 11-03-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Was back in the old alma mater today, and happened to pick up a copy of the University Times, which I'm informed is the new SU paper. I was reading the student reactions to the Trinity Ball 2010, and while most were negative, there were two supportive of the Ents crew.

Problem is, one was wearing an SU hoodie, both were in the same class and both said almost exactly the same thing.

I just thought it was hilarious and thought I'd share

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I know, once you start reading these indulgences in hackery the opportunities for humour are limitless. A new student paper is something the college does not need. Me and a friend were talking about this recently - who care's about the opinions of some student in relation to some international problem? It really is cringeworthy reading the two bit, internet assembled, half thought opinions of some twat who thinks he might know something about the crisis in Chile. Yawn. The same heiffer probably wouldn't know where Chile is on a map the week before.

Furthermore, I enjoyed reading a wonderful article the other day on Ashly Cole in one of the student papers. Something to do with Ashly Cole being the victim of racism. I literally laughed out loud. I really hope the self important dullard who wrote that hangs his head in shame. Typical opinion piece nonsense by people who think they 'see beyond the common man'.

It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a typical Trinity twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

It's funnier when you've left college and take a step back, and realise just how pretentious and self-important Trinity students can be. Always liked the Trinity News for the SU-bashing though. And the new one's a massive improvement on the Record; I didn't see one spelling error

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

And the editor is dsylexic

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

And the new one's a massive improvement on the Record; I didn't see one spelling error

What about "Third-level grade inflation under investagition by Dept of Education"?

What about "Third-level grade inflation under investagition by Dept of Education"?
    Haha, fair enough. I do admit that I wasn't proofreading, but obviously neither were they, so I can't feel too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Yeah, why bother proof-reading the headlines on the front page, no-one looks at them really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Denerick wrote: »
    I know, once you start reading these indulgences in hackery the opportunities for humour are limitless. A new student paper is something the college does not need. Me and a friend were talking about this recently - who care's about the opinions of some student in relation to some international problem? It really is cringeworthy reading the two bit, internet assembled, half thought opinions of some twat who thinks he might know something about the crisis in Chile. Yawn. The same heiffer probably wouldn't know where Chile is on a map the week before.

Furthermore, I enjoyed reading a wonderful article the other day on Ashly Cole in one of the student papers. Something to do with Ashly Cole being the victim of racism. I literally laughed out loud. I really hope the self important dullard who wrote that hangs his head in shame. Typical opinion piece nonsense by people who think they 'see beyond the common man'.

The use of the word heiffer absolutely cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Never mind the whole marriage thing, everyone only hates him because of his skin. Such rubbish. For once I actually did laugh out loud.

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Never mind the whole marriage thing, everyone only hates him because of his skin. Such rubbish. For once I actually did laugh out loud.

The worst thing about it is that these kind's of students live in a self righteous little bubble. I can imagine him presenting it to his 'colleagues', all bearing a grave demeanour and congratulating him on this 'important' article. I think opinion pieces should be reserved only for those over the age of 30. Anything before that and they tend to look like awful twats.

Yeah, nobody cares what an eighteen year-old thinks anyway. I used to do irregular illustrations for Pubs, and most of them seemed pretty down to earth, but Christ, there was some rubbish coming out of that place at times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

If the voice is in your head, it's called insanity, not a 'friend'.

dan719v2.0 wrote: »
    If the voice is in your head, it's called insanity, not a 'friend'.

huh huh, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I think it's alright, at least for finding out about college related news.

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think it's alright, at least for finding out about college related news.

I don't mind it either, but the opinion pieces really grind my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

The worst thing about it is that these kind's of students live in a self righteous little bubble.

It's more that they've gotten into the habit of suppressing the part of their brain that deals with critical thinking in order to allow them to "appreciate" art and non-rhyming poetry.

These bubbles then begin to form as they now feel like part of an elite (having signed up their egos to this self-congratulatory game of emporer's new clothes) and prefer to associate themselves with their fellow "enlightened" classmates rather than the "unenlightened" rational thinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greedyfithaver

The worst thing about it is that these kind's of students live in a self righteous little bubble. I can imagine him presenting it to his 'colleagues', all bearing a grave demeanour and congratulating him on this 'important' article. I think opinion pieces should be reserved only for those over the age of 30. Anything before that and they tend to look like awful twats.

i was going to disagree with you but it seems you've helped to make your own point with your small opinion piece. eep, brain hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm too tired to quote all of Denerick, but he's hit the nail on the head in every single post!:D
    If you want really pretentious arse holes, the 2nd floor of the GMB is usually a good spot as well, I was unfortunately eating my lunch in there when I had to listen to committee members of the hist discuss the changes to their constitution...:rolleyes:
    I don't read any of the college papers, after I read how a "brave" security gaurd stopped a wmd or two drunk students from entering the college without signing in I promised myself never to read such tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

El Siglo wrote: »
    I don't read any of the college papers, after I read how a "brave" security gaurd stopped a wmd or two drunk students from entering the college without signing in I promised myself never to read such tripe.

I don't think anyone would count The Piranha as a college newspaper...

Wasn't that the same edition where the cover story was about the Provost being some sort of brain sucking zombie?

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would count The Piranha as a college newspaper...

Wasn't that the same edition where the cover story was about the Provost being some sort of brain sucking zombie?

I forget the name of the rag but it had the pretentiousness of being a broadsheet and this bullshit story actually made the front page. To be honest the college 'newspapers' are like all newspapers in this country - only good for wiping your arse with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

El Siglo wrote: »
    I forget the name of the rag but it had the pretentiousness of being a broadsheet and this bullshit story actually made the front page. To be honest the college 'newspapers' are like all newspapers in this country - only good for wiping your arse with.

No, that actually was The Piranha (as Mark noted); a satirical paper. I'm sure they thought the idea of such a story reaching the front page was silly as well. :pac:

Looks like you fell for it though...

• Advertisement

i was going to disagree with you but it seems you've helped to make your own point with your small opinion piece. eep, brain hurts.

Lolz! u is so funnyz! Lolz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Lolz! u is so funnyz! Lolz!

Are you sure you're in tcd? You seem to have all the discussion skills of a six year old. The only reply you give to anyone who disagrees with you is a slightly different version of 'huh huh, LOLZ'. Maybe sounding like a sixteen year old girl turns you on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Don't feed the troll, man, especially if the troll is a boring arsehole.

Saw some ridiculous spelling errors in the Times this week. The vox pop bit on page 2 had bits cut out, so that one girl that wanted to say "The Trinity Ball is just an excuse to get shítfaced" instead just said "The Trinity Ball is just an excuse to get shít". Kind of changes the tone of her opinion...

Sauron wrote: »
    No, that actually was The Piranha (as Mark noted); a satirical paper. I'm sure they thought the idea of such a story reaching the front page was silly as well. :pac:

Looks like you fell for it though...

Fair enough! Still shite though.:D

dan719 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're in tcd? You seem to have all the discussion skills of a six year old. The only reply you give to anyone who disagrees with you is a slightly different version of 'huh huh, LOLZ'. Maybe sounding like a sixteen year old girl turns you on?!

Well considering the only contrary arguments I'm facing have been:

A) You are a schizophrenic

And

B) You are a wanker

I think lolz is the appropriate response.

Edit: I see that you're the same tit from the previous page. Hi pot, this is kettle. Please tell me the colour of your hue.

gaybitch wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll, man, especially if the troll is a boring arsehole.

You are not a nice person.

I'm really not, no.

I'm really not, no.

Oh stop that, you're a big ol' softie.

The Walsho wrote: »
    Oh stop that, you're a big ol' softie.

I know right, but don't tell Denerick.

• Advertisement

I know right, but don't tell Denerick.

Denerick, I heard her talk to her mam on the phone once and she was so polite and lovely and did an elongated affectionate goodbye.

Just this minute she told me she has loads of crisps so "might get some apple juice".

What a harmless little cuddly bear she is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement