Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance premiums going down?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 9:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Car insurance was up for renewal, and was expecting a bit of an increase due to reports its been going up about 20% in the past while.

The letter came, and the quote was 20% less than last year, so i was fairly happy with that. I asked if they could do any better over the phone and straight away she took another 10% off the lower price.

Just curious has anyone else found the same>? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've found mine going down yearly but I'm still building up my NCD at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tony H

My son renued his last month with Quinn and after a small bit of haggling got them down from €1100 to €900 , he's 22 with a years ncb and a full licence .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

fitzdragon wrote: »
    My son renued his last month with Quinn and after a small bit of haggling got them down from €1100 to €900 , he's 22 with a years ncb and a full licence .

That seems pretty decent imo if its full comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tony H

Davy wrote: »
    That seems pretty decent imo if its full comp.

Yes that's fully comp. Its only an 07 Colt 1.1 though so that helps as well I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

The polar opposite of my experience guys.

My insurance went from 833 to 1366euro in this renewal. Fully comp protected.
    Thats a whopping 64% increase for no apparent reason. The customer agent I rang said "your not the only one, believe me" and laughed. I have 8 years NCB (age 30). The car is a 2.0 FTO and I think nobody wants to take this car anymore (jap import). AXA wanted 1600euro. AA wanted 1300 (through axa). I eventually managed to find a renewal for 790euro with setanta via a broker. So technically I managed to reduce it this year, but barely.
    Great to hear your policies have gone down though. When I rang the regulator about my 64% increase he said that 500million euro of claims have already been submitted due to the winter weather and floods, and he expects ALL premiums to see a 10% rise this year across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

On average they're rising, and certain "stealth taxes" are really going to bite this year too. The "Get Off The Roads, Peasant!!" charge is hitting unemployed drivers for €+20% per annum now on basis of being a nice, vulnerable target to exploit. Disgusting.

Advertisement