Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good Anthropology books

• 11-03-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if you good folks could recommend any important books on anthropology that you would consider essential reading. I have read bits and pieces but would like to expand my knowledge of the subject.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I wouldn't know an awful lot about anthropology myself, but there's a series of books called A Very Short Introduction to..., and there's one about social anthropology :) If you're thinking of theorists and stuff like that, Malinowski and Levi-Strauss would be good people to read up on.

I hope that helps, there'll probably be boardsies way better able to answer this than me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Mr Fonnen wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if you good folks could recommend any important books on anthropology that you would consider essential reading. I have read bits and pieces but would like to expand my knowledge of the subject.

Anything in particular? Social, cultural, physical? Theory or method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mr Fonnen

Cultural and social, I really just want to hit up a few key texts to get into the subject.

Small Places, Large Issues: An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology, Thomas Hylland Eriksen. This was my first undergrad text way back when, and is a great starter. Chapters are organized thematically (Local Organization, Kinship, Marriage, Production and Technology etc).

I always found the classics very enjoyable - Morgan's Ancient Society is worth a look to see where the big debates branched out from. I'm not sure if it has been reprinted recently, but I would think so. Early 20th century ethnographers are staples of any course - Evan's Pritchard's Magic, Witchcraft and Oracles Among the Azande is a popular one, but very very boring :) Bateson and Mead's Balinese Character is much more readable. Durkheim's Elementary Forms of Religious Life is another. There are some good recent pop-ethnograhies showing up, such as Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day. He also published a more extensive volume than the penguin paperback titled Off the Books, so if you can get the latter, you should - same case and location, just more detail. You might also enjoy Loic Wacquants Body and Soul, a study of golden gloves boxers and boxing tournaments where he trained and fought whilst writing. From sociology, there is Foot-Whyte's Street Corner Society, which is a little more technical, but no less enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Here is a link to a book which drew enormous influence from Morgan's Ancient Society. I haven't read Morgan but I would assume his work to be highly detailed & maybe a bit too much for a first read [speculation]. The author makes great pains to explain Morgans ideas & quotes many passages throughout.

The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1884/origin-family/index.htm

This piece is, without a doubt, a must read & should really be required reading for all. I remember checking about a year ago, though I'll admit not thoroughally enough, that the claims the book makes are still undisputed & have only been elaborated on since it's publication.

I had to have my copy shipped over from America, I've never seen it in a shop but I highly recommend either buying it or getting pen and paper & copying down the many intriguing one-liners from the online version.

• Advertisement

Here is a link to a book which drew enormous influence from Morgan's Ancient Society. I haven't read Morgan but I would assume his work to be highly detailed & maybe a bit too much for a first read [speculation]. The author makes great pains to explain Morgans ideas & quotes many passages throughout.

The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1884/origin-family/index.htm

This piece is, without a doubt, a must read & should really be required reading for all. I remember checking about a year ago, though I'll admit not thoroughally enough, that the claims the book makes are still undisputed & have only been elaborated on since it's publication.

I had to have my copy shipped over from America, I've never seen it in a shop but I highly recommend either buying it or getting pen and paper & copying down the many intriguing one-liners from the online version.

Aye, that's Engels work - I wouldn't say it has gone undisputed though. Marx also discusses Morgan in the Ethnological Notebooks. That site should host pre-capitalist economic formations, which is similar in scope, and a little more readable. You can find the full text of this in Grundrisse also

Advertisement