Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vasta Size on Disk

Options
  • 11-03-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i dont have a clue about this but just noticed that my windows files on my laptop are over 25GB just for the program files and windows files. is this right?

i have just reinstalled the os after having linux installed and over 25GB seems like too much disk space to be taken up by windows vista basic?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its possible with all its updates, etc.
    XP alone in some cases goes over 10 gigs easily with all its current service packs and updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Biggins wrote: »
    Its possible with all its updates, etc.
    XP alone in some cases goes over 10 gigs easily with all its current service packs and updates.
    that is awful! think i moght try another linux version.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

golden rule - if you don't know what a files is don't delete it !!

get ccleaner to try and remove crap

if your system has been stable for a long time you can remove all but the most recent system restore point, removing them all is tempting fate

if you use treeview or sequoiaview or spacemonger you will see lots of similarily named folders in windows, still not sure if you can remove them

puppylinux will run from 256MB
    ubuntu live will run from 650MB, the install needs about 4GB though

hard drives are now in the 100's of GB so space is only an issue on older machines (insert RANT here about office apps not having making backup saves)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Is it possible you have hibernation turned on - if so, this can create quite a large file (c:\hiberfil.sys - you might have to turn on show hidden files to see it) Check what size this file is, and see if the size gains by turning off hibernation and deleting the file outweigh not being able to use the hibernate option. <-- edit - I just noticed you said Program Files and Windows folders, so this may not apply.

Another thing you could do is delete the service pack/windows update installation files if you're sure you don't want to remove any of them. These are in C:\Windows and have folder names starting with $. Do be careful not to delete anything else in there of course!

Advertisement