Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

astra hesitates

Options
  • 11-03-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

iv got a 00 astra that im having a problem with (1.4L).

when you put the boot down it wont take off as it should, it jumps a lot as if it doesn't want to go propely. traveling at a steady speed is ok but its dodgy when overtaking as it can be very slow and then get a sudden boost of power (of what a 1.4 has lol).

also when it's sitting idle the revs go very low and come back to normal.

i hooked it up to a diagnostics comp and the crank shaft sensor showed up, which i changed but it didn't sort it out. i also changed the fuel filter just to be safe but it didn't solve the problem.

there is nothing showing up on diagnostics although it wasn't a proper opel computer (one of those that will do every car).

iv spent over €100 on it already and its 50 more to go to an opel garage for a proper diagnostics test:mad: where i was previousley at a nissan garage and dont have a lot of money to spend on it as i am a student using it for college. i think its the coil pack but its a gamble getting one for €140 more when nothing is showing on the comp?

any ideas?:confused:

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would start with cleaning the trottle body.

Before:
    DSCF2247DesktopResolution.jpg

After:
    DSCF2252DesktopResolution.jpg

Get some cleaner thats suitable for cleaning it and not just wd40. As you could risk removing the protective coating inside it.
    Found a 'how to' guide here on astraownersnetwork.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Classic symptoms of failed ignition coil pack - same happened to mine (when I had one) and can still remember the near-coronaries I used to have trying to pull away from red lights or making right-hand turns... :eek:

I've no idea if this should show up on diags or not. It's an extremely common problem on '98-'04 1.4 Astras and if your Opel garage hasn't already suggested this to you they're taking you for a ride...

You could probably buy the part for far less on line - hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this than me will post details on what to search for.

PS the throttle body suggestion is good & cheap to check/do but my money is on the coil...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Classic symptoms of failed ignition coil pack - same happened to mine (when I had one) and can still remember the near-coronaries I used to have trying to pull away from red lights or making right-hand turns... :eek:

I've no idea if this should show up on diags or not. It's an extremely common problem on '98-'04 1.4 Astras and if your Opel garage hasn't already suggested this to you they're taking you for a ride...

You could probably buy the part for far less on line - hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this than me will post details on what to search for.

PS the throttle body suggestion is good & cheap to check/do but my money is on the coil...

thats exactley it:D! i cant stand trying to gather speed when there is something coming up behind you on a main road:P! it was my cousin that checked it out and he reckons its that aswell!

i might take a chance and get a coil pack tomorrow in a scrap yard for €60! fingers crossed:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hi Clarke1991,

I would also be of the opinion that it is the coil pack. Symptoms are very similar to those I experienced when mine gave up the ghost on a 2000 vectra. Mine also used to keep revving high when you took your foot of the gas the odd time. You may be in luck if your near Limerick as I have one for sale for 40quid (see my ad on adverts.ie). I will send you a pm to provide further information and if you are interested we can do the deal on the adverts.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Hi lads, dont want to hijack the thread but I need your help, I have almost exactly the same symptoms with my car but it only happens for first few miles while engine is warming up.
    Later as it gets warmed up it doesnt do that anymore.
    I v been to diagnsotics and computer doesnt show anything.
    By now I v changed air flow meter, cleaned throttle body and idle air control valve.

So please let me know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

One problem that hasnt beed mentioned is the EGR valve. It will cause more of the symptoms such as reving up and down at lights aswell as sudden power loss and gain. It will also cause hard starting, it will take a good few turns before the engine will start. If your problems sound like this then this could be your problem.

If you have a problem with your coil pack you will notice the sound of a misfire when accelerating. It will sound like it is missing a beat. You also may notice revs dropping but it wont be reving up like an EGR. Your astra, being a 2000 reg is a X14XE engine (the Z14XE was used from 2001 on) so it wont usually show an engine management light for some problems. It wont show up a missfire from a faulty coil as it is only fitted with one oxygen sensor so it cannot pick up the fault. If it sounds like the above then you should replace the coil pack and plugs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Hi lads, dont want to hijack the thread but I need your help, I have almost exactly the same symptoms with my car but it only happens for first few miles while engine is warming up.
    Later as it gets warmed up it doesnt do that anymore.
    I v been to diagnsotics and computer doesnt show anything.
    By now I v changed air flow meter, cleaned throttle body and idle air control valve.

So please let me know what you think.

What car have you got? the 98-04 astra doesnt have an airflow meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

My car is Mazda 6 1.8l petrol 04

Easier to start a new thread or this will just get messy. Bobo78

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

cheers everyone for the responces but i got it sorted out with a coil pack. i had checked the EGR valve aswell. yes, it did sound like a miss when it was accelerating but its all ok now :D

• Advertisement

Great, I'm glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for getting back to let us know the outcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Great stuff - thanks for letting us know!

Advertisement