Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saying "No" to 10 month old

Options
  • 11-03-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

My son is able to walk around with support. He will grab my fingers and slide off my lap, and wants to walk everywhere.
    It's great thata he can do that, and he loves the freedom of being able to get around.

however, it's murder on my back, and he seems to want to do this all the time now. He screams if we refuse to let him.
    We are being tough, and not letting him have his way all the time (e.g he will want to go off walking when he's 1/4 way through his bottle).

I say "no" to him, in the form "<baby name>, NO!" He is starting to get the message slowly I think. Problem is solving itself, I'm thinking.

Now I have read somewhere that at this age, saying "NO!" should be reserved for dangerous things like going near the fire, grabbing a fork from a table, puttig stones in his mouth, maybe slapping or being rough with other babies.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well, just a few thoughts

Perhaps you can get a little push along toy for your son, so that he can grip onto that and walk and save your back for you.

I use the AH, AH approach with my fella. The louder the AH, AH for the more dangerous things.

I think your tone and facial expressions will get accross your meaning to him.

So i would keep using NO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if you can get a push along toy.
    My little girl flies around the place pushing her buggy.

I thought her no bye saying it and shaking my head so now she will point to the plug or the cooker and shake her head to tell me no:)
    It takes a bit of patience and reaffirming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's when they start telling you "no" in a cheeky voice when you ask them to do something is where the problem comes in! My daughter is currently walking around the sitting room going "nooo, noooooo" now that I've asked her to pick up her toys, and she's only 15 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady did that from when she was 7 months, she would not use the walker or a walking push along toy. my pinky finger only and she did that till she crawled and walked at 11 months. all i can say is ouch.

im sure using NO is fine but Ah, Ah. might work as well.

there is too much ' you should do this' and 'you should do that' and 'dont do this/that' these days. go with your instincts because in a few years time im sure they will change their minds again.

my boy didnt understand NO until he was 2 and a half. so count your self lucky you got a bright boy!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The walking thing doesnt last long, and a push along toy is a good idea, but you still have to walk around with them as they get stuck, or slide on the shiny part of the floor, etc.

I found NO didnt work much with my lot. A sharp no always made mine cry. They learned to ignore me anyway if I overused it and you dont want to be upping the ante, getting louder or whatever. I used the ah ah or a soft noooooo.... for dangerous things, and that does sink in, but I found distraction was better than saying No when wanting them to stop doing something. A baby just doesnt understand NOT to do something. Youve got to make them do something else instead, I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement