Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanpst.exe Outlook 2007-Vista

Options
  • 10-03-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

I have had the above system on my pc for about a year now and all of a sudden I am getting loads of errors (as below), but we have all looked for this scanpst.exe file and it is just not there. This type of problem is very new to me, has anyone any suggestions?

When I open Outlook I get:

Outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook cannot display this view. Errors have been detected in the file C:\users\OfficeAngel\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all email enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.

When a Reminder Pops Up
    Cannot turn off reminder. You may be reminded again. The file C:\users\OfficeAngel\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. The folder is in use and cannot be accessed. You may need to restart your computer.

Windows update ran and restarted my computer, then I notice new messages in my archive folder. But...

When I try to reply:
    Errors have been detected in the file C:\users\OfficeAngel\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all email enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.

On Opening Outlook
    Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C;\Users\Office.
    Angel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair took, see Help.

I would be eternally grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Hi,

OfficeAngel. Yes you need to run the ScanPST.exe on the file.

Scanpst.exe is located at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 for office 2007.

Run the scan and try again.

If it is still not working after, you can disconnect the PST file if not needed.

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Mail -> Data Files
    Highlight the PST file and click remove.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OfficeAngel

Many thanks Noxin.

I tried what you said but then got an error:

The Microsoft Office Outlook 7 Inbox Repair Tool does not recognise the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\scanpst.exe

I am a little of wary of deleting it as I don't really know what it does exactly.

Thanks for your advice though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Many thanks Noxin.

I tried what you said but then got an error:

The Microsoft Office Outlook 7 Inbox Repair Tool does not recognise the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\scanpst.exe

I am a little of wary of deleting it as I don't really know what it does exactly.

Thanks for your advice though.

Are you starting scanpst.exe and then pointing it at itself? You need to give it the location of the outlook.pst file.

Hi Spear

I tried browsing that but I am not a techie and need my pc for work.

All the outlook.exe or dll files I tried either say read-only or that they don't exist.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Many thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi Spear

I tried browsing that but I am not a techie and need my pc for work.

All the outlook.exe or dll files I tried either say read-only or that they don't exist.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Many thanks for your help.

Just give it C:\users\OfficeAngel\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

Appdata will be hidden by default.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Just give it C:\users\OfficeAngel\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

Appdata will be hidden by default.

Many thanks for your help Spear, it all appears to be working again and no error messages. However my new mails are going directly into archive which is a bit weird. How do I get new messages to go into my personal files again?

You're a star.

Regards

Many thanks for your help Spear, it all appears to be working again and no error messages. However my new mails are going directly into archive which is a bit weird. How do I get new messages to go into my personal files again?

You're a star.

Regards

I'm not quite sure what you mean by archive versus personal files. Go to tools -> account settings, and under the data files tab you can see the possible default mail destinations, and choose the default one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Archive and Personal folders are the exact same thing. Just a different name.

If your mails are going directly to the archive / personal folders

go Start -> Control Panel -> Mail -> Data Files

In the list highlight the Mailbox - (name) and then click the "Set as Default" option.
    You may need to close and restart outlook once this is done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Noxin.

It was already defaulted to personal folders when I went back to it. I tried default to archive, restarted my pc and reverted back again, and restarted again but nothing seems to make a difference.

It's a bit of a nuisance because it means none of my rules wizards will work now, and I have been manually moving all emails to the right folders.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davidwlms

Dear OfficeAngel,

I am very happy that you were not a techie but you achieved the task of solving your problem. If you are still persisting problems with your pst files then you need fix pst outlook recovery. You can do that with the help of external tools, it is quit uneasy to get it done with the help of scanpst.exe file. As you already know that it very hard to do it with scanpst.exe. May be it work and you start getting your emails on the right track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I'm not being rude

But did you try google before you , posted here.

scanpst is on ever windows pc , do a wild card serch for *scanpst and you'll find it .

It user to repair you pst files .

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Thanks Noxin.

It was already defaulted to personal folders when I went back to it. I tried default to archive, restarted my pc and reverted back again, and restarted again but nothing seems to make a difference.

It's a bit of a nuisance because it means none of my rules wizards will work now, and I have been manually moving all emails to the right folders.

Thanks anyway.

Or just set them up again , and change folder location

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Spammers keep bumping this thread for some reason, could it be locked?

nick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement